Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lessons

First Man

Count me in too. I've always had a similar idea in my head whereby people who want to build a seven but don't have the knowledge/confidence can have the kit delivered to a workshop along with say 4/5 other kits. Then they spend the next week or so being taken through the build by somone competent. At the end they would have the satisfaction of building their car and some knowledge to use if the car should ever break down.

At last I own one teeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Support Team

Great idea for new builders. Just too late for me. Might have saved me quite a few hours just working out what the manual was trying to say but missed it out completely. Especially as the manual seems to be well out of date for:

1 the new EU3 engine

2 the SV body

rob

• Area Representative

Not wishing to throw a spanner (excuse the pun) in your plans, but any chance of including a Zetec, tooquestion.gif I know we're a minority but I think a growing one.

Cheersthumbsup.gif

Me too. I would just like to watch someone jack the car up. Despite reading the threads on the subject, I am still confused as to what the right thing to do is, and I would prefer to know before I need to, if you see what I mean....(without bending anything)

Steve

If you are serious I may be able to make enquiries about using one of the Dealer Training workshops at Jaguar (one at Castle Bromwich, one at Browns Lane) both of these have 4 post lift that would enable access under the cars and are both resonably easy to get to.

Let me know if you would like me to pursue this, there may be a small charge but not much.

Graham

cool.gif1700 Live Axle X/Flow, got the engine upgrade now all I've got to do is try & beat the rest of the guys up the hill!!!!!id=red> cool.gif

Fat Arnie

anyone got a sock? Posted - 21 March 2002 12:19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adrian, Can you bring along an RB211 as well. Any info on maintenance would greatly assist my engine upgrade (the one after the V6....)

Fat Arn

Arn,

I could get a RB211-535C from work fairly easily as BA are getting rid of their older B757's. Trouble is they've all done so many hours that they'd probably struggle to reach their oringinal 37,000lbs of thrust, so you don't want one of them.

RB211-524H's are a bit old hat now even though they produce 60,600lbs thrust. You can get one with a 'Trent' core (called the H-T) but all that does is reduce the emissions with no increase in power. Would make it easier to get through the MOT though!

Nah, if you want REALid=red> power, you want a Trent 895 you do!95,000lbs thrust!!!thumbsup.gif They don't come more powerful than this behemoth! I'd love to see your terminalid=red> speed down the straight at Curborough with this stuck in K2 RUM! teeth.gif But then again the problem would be installing it as all of the above are bigger than your average supermini, so lets think about this.

How about something from the defence dept. that's a bit smaller and neater. They'd be less powerful but lighter, and with reheat selected would make a better noise than a BEG! A Tay 651 is developed from the old Spey but is much improved and will give you 15,400lbs thrust. Not bad from such a compact unit eh? And it's fitted with FADEC (full authority digital engine control) so you could plug in your laptop and play with the setings as your driving along. Mind you, you could pick up an old ex-RAF Spey engine for a fraction of the cost and they'll still give you 10,000lbs-ish thrust. Cheap power that! Ask my mate Richard Noble who bought a couple with change to spare a while back and stuck them in his motor. His driver Andy Green seemed to do alright with them.

But then I know cost is no object with you mate so perhaps you ought to go with the lastest off the test bed. An EJ200 has got everything you could wish for; a twin-spool reheated turbofan fitted with wide-chord aerofoils made from single crystal blades, three fan (LP) and five HP compressor stages, powered by two single-stage turbines (LP and HP), annular combustor with an airspray combustion system, reheat system featuring a three-stage fan system, and a convergent/divergent nozzle and engine control by an integrated FADEC system. Sounds the business or what? Very costly and very rare (only 28 built last I heard a couple of years ago) but I think the 20,000lbs thrust quoted is conservative. That's very you that is!

Anyway, hope I've been of help. I'll be off now to organise this spanner day but let me know what your thoughts are.

All the best

Adrian

Keep it between the hedges lads! wink.gifthumbsup.gif

Edited by - Adrian Elkin on 22 Mar 2002 08:22:25

Old Septimus, refresh my memory. I'm thinking helicopters?

Arn. There is no such accumulator. Is that any help? teeth.gif

Anyway, I need some volunteers who have a good working knowledge as far as the servicing of their cars is concerned, and are willing to bring along their pride and joy to be partially stripped and then be asked the most blindingly obvious questions with regard to their care and maintenance. Cars in question are:

One Vauxhall (2ltr)

One K-Series (any capacity, or are there major differances?)

One X/Flow WITH A LIVE REAR AXLE

If sufficient people ask me to include a Zetec and one comes forward then I'll include one too.

All the best

Adrian

Keep it between the hedges lads! wink.gifthumbsup.gif

Can I suggest that everyone who would like help posts their home town/area then maybe more experienced

"fettlers" will contact their local members in need.

We are half way between Lichfield and Burton upon Trent in Staffordshire. (ten minutes from Curborough!)

Barbara.

Just a quick note to keep this at the top and appeal again for some volunteers to bring there cars for scrutiny. I'm after a Vx and a X-flow. Two guys, one with a live axle Zetec and the other a K(thanks First Man) have volunteered their cars. I may have a venue lined up but it's far from certain yet, so if anybody else knows of a suitable place where you could get 4 cars and 25 people under one roof LET ME KNOW PLEASE.

For those of you in the Midlands, watch this space for a possible second event up there.

All the best

Adrian

• 7 months later...