Click here if you are having website access problems ×

eter Charmiechels flat floor method....will it damage my chassis?

Martin S.

Peters method involves supporting the front of the car in the centre on a thinish piece of wood to form a fulcrum point with the back supported via the de-dion tube on axle stands. Is it ok to support the front like this, I’m just a bit nervous about bending the chassis tubes *confused*

BRG De-dion, 2Ltr Dunnel Zetec 165 (now with added track and looking for 15 inch wheels)

They will deform, but not permanently. Let's face it, the chassis twists every time you go round a corner. I used this method; it's quick, accurate enough and straight forward. Make sure you load the car with balast as appropriate. I normally drive solo, so I put bricks in the driver seat and half a tank of petrol. When I got the chance to put it on a set of scales it was just about spot-on 😬

Yeh, but having supported the De-Dion tube on axle stands and the driver seat loaded with equivalent weight, jacking the front up with a thin piece of wood at the cruciform will initially result in the front nearside wheel rising quite a long way before the front offside becomes airborn - lots of non-permanent chassis flex. Don't worry, it'll "Spring-back" *cool*

As both my rear platforms were at maximum lift, I had to shorten the rear nearside to make the front level.

With the car back on it's wheels with no bricks in the driver seat it will look slightly down on the passenger side, but will return to level with the driver in.

Some people set them-up with half the passenger weight if they sometimes drive with a passenger.