Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter motor turning over slowly.

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Had problems getting my new 1.9K started - its obviously higher compression than the 1.6 it replaces but not ludicrously high. The starter motor turns over, but very slowly - we tried a brand new fully charged Banner in place of the Red Top 15 but that didn't make any difference. Surpisingly it is much easier to start when warm. Jump starting works fine.

Will a new starter be likely to solve the problem?

Is there much difference in the power of starter motors? If so which are the most powerful?

Is there a possibility that it is the wiring? If so what should I check? The car has recently had a Caterham battery master switch fitted with all new cabling as supplied in their kit.

Obviously I have seen recommendations for Brise but what are the alternatives? Is the Caterham race starter up to the job?

If I am going to replace it then it needs to be done quickly so long lead time suppliers are no good for me.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a newly built engine can challenge the starter motor for the first couple of hundred miles . If your running it in I would suggest you carry a battery booster pack thingy in case you stall at the lights 😳

I would wait a little while an loosen the engine up *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 31 Oct 2005 13:27:23

Not cheap but I've had no problems with the Brise unit since fitting

I have...

...but on stripping the car down this w/e, I found that the nut on the main 'live' terminal wasn't tight, so I'm hoping it was just a poor connection. Can't see what else it could be as the battery is a socking-great PC680 Odyssey, and it always appeared to have a full-charge - the alternator-output was slightly marginal too, and as this passed through the same connection...

Definitely worth checking the wiring... *smile*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Shaun

I'm in the same boat as you - new 1900K which I drove for the first time on Saturday. The first start up required jump leads, and it had probably 45 minutes running at fast idle and idle before being driven. Mine's now the other way round to yours though - it will start under its own steam from cold, but will not turn over when hot without a jump start - when it then spins over easily. Only done 30 miles so far, so hopefully it will loosen up, though my battery is c.5 yrs old.

Dave

• Support Team

I'm going to try and start it tonight so we'll see how it goes. I hope it is just becasue it's new, although turning by hand it doesn't seem tight. As it starts better when warm I've just got to not stall it in the first few miles *tongue*. Have to look at one of those battery boosters just in case.

If it doesn't get easier over the next few days then I'll replace the starter either with a Caterham race one or a Brise.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Myles, Brize had a problem with some starter where the crimped internal wire had high resistance and/or came away altogether. I think they soldered them to cure. Mine went back twice but seems OK now.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Shaun - just posted in your '1.9 is born' thread - keep it all in one mate!!

....when we briefly ran an Emerald around the time of the wedding we had exactly the same issue - we bought the 1.4kw 'geared' started from Caterham under Peter's advice, and it solved the slow cranking/Emerald issue straight away. Never been any issue since.

• Support Team

Rob - thanks for the offer. I'll see how things go for a few days but if no improvement then I'd like to take you up on that - will at least let me know if it definitely is the starter.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

We had a Taxi in a few years ago for a new battery and the driver complained that it too was faulty, he demonstrated this to me and it sounded like a flat battery so we replaced it even though under a load test it was fine. The second battery did the same and the third. I then did a starter motor test and found this to be the problem,

the main power feed to the starter was removed,sanded and replaced, end of problem. Still working. A conection may look and feel tight but this does not make it a good conductor but it may improve when hot and get worse when cold.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

• Support Team

Started the car last night OK so went for a drive. Took a risk and turned the engine off when I stopped at a friends but couldn't restart it. It jump started OK for me to get back home. Seems that the first start drains the battery so much that it would take more than the few miles I did to recharge.

I phoned Caterham today to get the race starter and they said I should speak to engineering before purchasing as they weren't sure it would fit a pre 2000 car - they thought it would foul on the exhaust. I'm still waiting for them to call me back. The person I spoke to in parts thought that my 4-1 competition exhaust was possibly the only one it would fit with. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other.

Are there any fitting issues with the Brise? I don't want to be attacking the block with an angle grinder - it's a non Caterham block so has already been fettled so that the present starter fits.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

My block was originally a non-7 item, so we had to grind to get a standard starter on there.

When I fitted the Brise, I spent *ages* working away gently at the webbing and side of the block - the Brise *seemed* to be fouling and certainly didn't want to fit properly.

I even tried grinding the Brise in a couple of places...

I eventually worked out that it wasn't the side of the block, it was the sticky-outy bit that the bellhousing attaches to (near where the dowels are) that was causing the problem - it took about 3 minutes to grind the sharp corner off this bit of the 'block' and all was well...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Support Team

Caterham technical say it will fit - do we believe them 🤔 *eek*

I'll order it now and hope it doens't need too much fettling of either block or exhaust.

Thanks for you help folks.

Yellow SL *cool* #32