Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

starter button

linsky

I've got a big red button now too teeth.gif.... very strategically placed wink.gif

After saying bye bye to my other car, it was one of the things I missed most....(that, and the power) blush.gif

Chris, thanks to Suzy7 for her wee missive. Glad she's on the mend thumbsup.gif

FH

Given it's not exactly hard to take the bonnet off and gain direct access to the starter motor, having a starter button is not much of a security risk.

The immobiliser will prevent the car being started.

That said, you might want to have a battery cut out switch if you don't have one to prevent toerags from easily operating the starter with the car in gear whilst parked. Might save a nosecone or two.

Ray,

I would have though having the starter button makes no difference to security, if it simply replaces the final twist of the key. With my Caterham fitted button, pressing it does nothing without first turning on the ignition, which requires the key, and plipping the immobiliser.

I did look at a car that had no key at all, just a switch on the dash with three positions - off, on, and spring loaded start. It did have an immobiliser too, but I think this compromised security, especially if the imobiliser wasn't of the self armning type. Also, it would be too easy the leave the immobiliser and petrol cap key on the counter in a petrol station, or at home, and drive off. Safest place is in the ignition.

It is useful as well as being a nice touch. If you stall on the road or spin on the track, you need to get moving asap. With gloves on and adrenaline pumping if you've just spun, the key can seem a long way away.

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by - jonhill on 24 Aug 2001 12:16:17

Edited by - jonhill on 24 Aug 2001 12:16:52

The nose load on a cam is very high at low rpm. Cranking revs are probably the worst for wear on the cam lobes. This is why a lot of performance cams require the idle to be set higher. The cam/follower interface is lubricated by splash so I can't see it being any different from starting the thing straight away and bringing it to an elevated idle.

The only justification for the starter button is for if you can't reach the key easily with a harness on and you are prone to stalling. My Neanderthal dimensions mean I can reach the key easily enough. I know I am sailing against the tide on this one, but I just don't get it. Unless you take the key mechanism out of the car in order to replace it with the starter button you are adding complexity. Very much not "Seven". thumbsdown.gif

Farnell Part No 109-282

Description 76-9410/439088R : Switch, flush red

Cost £8.09 + the dreaded

Min order is £10.00

Order of the net @ www.farnell.com

(Just fitted mine, its not for posing...its for fun!)

Steve

cool.gifScream...if you want to go faster!!!id=limegreen> cool.gif

Paul, White & red is the wire for the startermotor but take the power from the white wire, so that there is no power on the button when the key is not at the ign. position. If you take the power from the brown wire you can crank the engine at all times witch is not a good idea.