Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My RiF aeroscreen will arrive soon, what mirrors are you using?

frankyknuckles

Red rags.......... 😬

You need to work it out yourself. Too much depends on how long your body is, where your seat is, etc. You must get it right for you so have a play and try different heights before you decide what to set upon.

Make sure you can see the front left wheel through the gap in the aeroscreen and that the center mirror doesn't obscure cars on your left (i.e. as at roundabouts). If you mess the mirror placement up the car will be awful to drive as you won't be able to see where you are going - I know, I did it ☹️ 😳 and have reverted to my old aeroscreen.

After a hi-vis (pocketted side) driver's door if anyone's got one? *thumbup*

Franky,

I'm expecting RIF screen too.

I did bite the bullet and buy the SPA mirrors, carbon with convex outers and flat middle. This is partly based on experience with these mirrors on a Caterham aeroscreen and partly because it is so easy to hit the BUY NOW button and purchase online an regret later when the Visa bill arrives *cool*

The directly supplied SPA mirrors have a longer centre-post than those supplied by Caterham with their screen. I'm trusting this should provide suitable clearance and visibility; if not then it should not be a major engineering problem to aquire a longer pole *eek*

Orange SUPERLIGHT R300

Perms a speciality, OAP discounts on Wednesday.

Edited by - Neil.Williams on 24 Jun 2004 09:08:00

have reverted to my old aeroscreen.

Why, was the rif screen too high *confused*

this thread discusses varous options but no conclusion as to the best length of post *confused*

more pictures here

What I need are close up pictures of a CC screen to see how they differ in height.

Bafty - agree that it gets quite expensive with carbon mirrors *eek* and may well go for high impact balck plastic jobies.

Generally, I was under the impression that the RiF screen was better than the CC screen, not in terms of carbon quality, but in terms of function, comments on this forum seem to suggest this and is the reason I chose RiF over CC. But, if the screen is too high to get good center mirror placement / visibility then maybe I will be better with a CC screen? (function over form).

I thought this would be an area of conversation that would generate loads of opinions, but are people simply going for the RiF product because it is carbon and is relatively cheap when compared to CC *confused*

I suppose I better add this before I get flamed (this forum has got a little crazy recently *confused*), I'm not trying to be-little the RIF product, I'm sure it is top quality and indeed I will see for myslef when it arrives, all I'm trying to establish is the general concensus on which product offers the best solution.

Cheers *thumbup*

www.R300.net

frankyknuckles:

Why, was the rif screen too high?

For my car, my seating position, my height . . .. yes, it was too high. I couldn't see left hand kerbs properly and the central mirror complicated matters by obscureing cars on my left. I could adjust my seat - put it higher, but I want weight low so I'm not going to do that.

The screen itself is superb and nobody else I am aware of has problems. I still think it's worth bearing in mind though. At least check before you drill it for fitting.

After a hi-vis (pocketted side) driver's door if anyone's got one? *thumbup*

Ref: the original thread on height of the centre post. My experience is with the Caterham supplied screen and mirrors. On SOME LH corners, particularly going in to the complex at Croft, the mirror obscures the apex. On others eg Mansfield, and entering the Mountain at Cadwell it's fine. As someone said above it depends on your height, seat, and whether you sit upright or "slump". At Croft I sat in another 7, where they had LOWERED the standard Caterham centre mirror, and found it the best option. I'm thinking of doing the same.

CHALLENGE...............Will some tooled-up blatter invent an adjustable version? With an inner and outer tube and locking device? That would be the ideal answer.

Ive used the RaceTech rear view mirror on a "JPE" aeroscreen. This mirror has a very simple "centre" pole that can be cut to size. Once cut it needs a thread in the end where the mirror attaches. When I originally order mine, the chap at racetech (Phil??) made the mirror to my specifications at no extra cost.

The mirror its very small (maybe too small ?) and is availabe in flat or convex. More info on the racetech web site. Cost wise ... ~£20 for the plastic version and ~50 for the CF.

I started with 100mm and changed to 40mm - the 100mm was too high, gave me an excellent view of the FIA diagonal and not much else. The extra leverage meant that it wobbled about too much at speed as well....

The 40mm means that the mirror partially obscures the FL headlight - but is basically at the same visual level for me (as a guide, the top of my head is only just below the level of the FIA bar with no helmet). I would consider a zero mm mount in order to get even better visibility underneath the FIA diagonal.

It might be worth talking to SPA though - I've seen one center mirror made by them in a catalogue that is effectively just half the width of the std. GT mirror - but otherwise the same height and design. THis would work well for me as the effective area of the mirror is identical - at the moment, all I can see at the edges of the mirror are the inner edges of the tillets...

Whilst you are at it, depending on where you plan to mount the side mirrors on the screen or on the scuttle), you might want to order some custom-height side arms from SPA.

I've images all over my site, but the following two pages should help...

here and here

HTH. Regds.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Mirrors - we have ordered special mounts that are being made for us by Racetech for their single seater model for wing and F1 for centre. We did not like their single point fixing. As far as SPA goes their helpfulness was terrible and prices far too high.

I am going to take some pictures of the Racetech mirrors on our screen when I get a second. Told the mounts will be about 2 weeks but could possibly get the centre one sooner. The prototypes fit well.

Price in carbon will be approx £50 for centre and £42.50 for each wing plus vat and carriage. Only flat glass is available in carbon cases though!!!! This was the reason that Frankyknuckles started the posting.

In plastic flat or convex at approx £23 plus vat and carriage for each mirror.

The additional charge compared to Racetech is for the newly designed mounts to give the perfect settings for wing mirrors and centre. You can buy direct but these new mounts are a special order for our screen. 50 complete sets on order.

The SPA mirrors do fit without a problem. The only thing is the centre mirror is 210 wide, far too wide for a se7en as the headrests are in the way. On the 100mm leg or a slightly shortened version it is fine but the 40mm leg is too short.

It is very easy to cut the aeroscreen either down in height or to make a bigger centre hole if required. We can supply them cut to take a bigger mirror if required BUT our design was engineered to give far less buffetting (by popular request it was to be higher too) than the CC version and by cutting or changing the design the aerodynamics will be reduced.

We are here to help and if anyone wants to help us design a modified version to suit different needs we will be pleased to listen.

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

If you ever talk to Richard, you will find he does not do things by half or in a slap dash manner.

Personally I think he should get out more, but can't complain that we have such an asset doing so much development for our toys for us, at such reasonable prices. *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Duratec Se7en, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool* Keep it sunny side up and out of the kitty litter.

Posted pic here of my 2: http://uk.msnusers.com/gooning

The grey one has CC carbon fibre aero & carbon centre mirror on short shaft with standard plastic side mirrors from CC. I find this system works great.

The green one has a see through aero (my missus prefers this one because she can see through it) with long stack centre mirror & very small carbon fibre side mirrors. The mirror on the long shaft obscures my forwards view especially at left handers trying to see through the corner.

In short, I would go for the short one any time. I am about 5'11" with Tillets. My pal at over 6' also prefers the short one.

Standard CC side mirrors also fine. They don't weigh much so I couldn't see any advantage with carbon ones. A hair cut would make more difference.