Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 C/F Centre Mirror Extension

donut

Does anyone know where I can get one ? (have already tried a search on TechTalk) It's the R500 version that I got from Caterham (think it's a SPA design- I've also emailed them). It needs to extend the mirror by about 3-4 inches to clear the aeroscreen.

I'm sure that I saw someone at the Wotton Hatch recently with an extended R500 mirror... but can't remember the car 🤔 .

Martin

C7 MPR

Mandarin Orange/Carbon Fibre,

*cool* *cool* *cool*

Myles,

Mines 55mm from the bottom of the post bracket to the top of the thread which only gives 75mm from the bottom of the bracket to the bottom of the mirror when assembled. The post/bracket is steel but it's got a non standard thread so I can't use a long bolt with no head and nuts which was my first idea.

Where did you get your bracket from ? did it come with the mirror?

Martin

C7 MPR

*cool* *cool* *cool*

The mirror supplied by SPA has a 100mm post. I've fitted this for starters but it blocks your forward view. I've just bought the stubby post direct from SPA (Kerrr-shting, £24!) and will fit it when the wifes come back in the car (she's gone for a pre-cadwell practice)... not that I'm clock watching..tick..tick

Just been speaking to Spa mirrors (rate 9/10 for unhelpfulness ☹️) anyway found out that their centre mirror stem is in 2 lenghts. 40mm and 100mm. This is the lenght of the stem not the height from base to bottom edge of mirror. That is approx 20 to 30mm more (told you very unhelpful and this was when I was talking about buying a quantity!!!! *mad*), this then gives a total clearance of 60 to 70mm on the short stem and 120 to 130mm on the longer stem.

Who else manufactures mirrors??????????? Must be another company. *confused* more eager to sell.

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Can I slightly high jack this thread by asking the following questions:

1)What is the preferred height of a mirror to get best vision rearwards through the roll bar?

2)Do you need a centre mirror as vision is always limited, are the wing mirrors not best? I can see little with mine on a normal windscreen!

3) Width of centre mirrors: do we need one a wide as the SPA one at 210mm surely you can't use that amount of mirror? See Spa do a 110mm wide one???

4) Plain or convex glass for centre or and wing mirrors????

5) Could the mirror be inside the aeroscreen rather than in the hole?

See Europa have a selection of different mirrors??? Not so fancy as some of the Spa ones but much cheaper for those without the budget!!!! *wink* *wink*

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Richard

Just got through to SPA mirrors and they confirmed that their standard length poost is 100mm. Caterham supplied mirrors have a specially shortened post at 40mm. I've ordered a 100mm post for mine (£25 !! *mad*) so will confirm what this is like. Last thing I want to do is cut away some of the aeroscreen to fit the mirror.

Best height for the centre mirror depends on what roll bar's fitted. I've got an R500 bar so visibility is better than those with an FIA bar (with teh cross-strut) who I think need a taller mirror.

My centre mirror is flat glass - I don't use a L/H door mirror (I could only afford one C/F SPA door mirror last year !). R/H door mirror is convex glass - I tried both flat and convex before buying and convex seems best.

I'm sure that a narrower centre mirror would do the job and be easier to fit but I haven't seen any other C/F centre mirrors advertised.

Martin

C7 MPR

*cool* *cool* *cool*

Thanks for bring this up guys. Having just recieved RIF new aeroscreen that I will be fitting on Saturday, ready for some poseing on Sunday at Stoneleigh.

I have a standerd CC C/F SPA centre mirror in the garage waiting and I belive it is the shorter of the 2. Will this not fit then? *eek*

Cheers

Nic

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003)

Just spoke to Racetech, much more helpful 😬 They sell a mirror 120 x 50 in plastic case or carbon. Stem is 90mm but can make a batch up of any length if there is enough interest. With the smaller mirror this stem will be plenty long enough and mirror will sit nicely in the smaller opening. Reckon 70mm is the lowest. Price in plastic £19.49 and £45.00 in carbon plus vat and postage. A realistic price but what is the quality and looks like *confused* Wing mirrors same sort of price too.

Simon, could be interested in a small quanity if you can do them??????

Richard in France

Edited by - richard in france on 29 Apr 2004 10:44:07

dont know, thats why i need thread sizes etc! only ever fitted these mirrors to race cars which have cages anyway! couple of cable ties and if anything does hit it, it just swivels! if theres enough of an interest i could make something nice out of alloy, depends how much people want to pay!can you supply carbon tube/bar for me to put a thread in?

but hey, what do i know?

All Aeroscreen mirrors fitted now, various digipics of screen on car are posted here (3rd page once you access my photofile)-

http://community.webshots.com/user/c7mpr

R500 centre mirror has the optional long stem. The higher centre mirror gives a good view of the N/S wheel through the aeroscreen cutout, good forward view and better rear view. The siting of the O/S rear mirror on this part of the aeroscreen gives a good view over the rear wheel arch.

I rivetted (rivets upside down so that the heads, covered by a thin rubber strip, lie flat between the aeroscreen and the scuttle) the centre mirror to the aeroscreen base and used a small amount of Araldite underneath. Tonneau popper bases are unscrewed, and screwed back on through holes drilled in the Aeroscreen base to secure it to the scuttle.

Martin

C7 MPR

*cool* *cool* *cool*

Edited by - Biffo on 3 May 2004 14:10:08