Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

won't start!!!!!!!!

RiF

Immobiliser does not always reset (but still isolates ignigtion) It is a Shurlok. Sometimes all ingnition lights and electrics work but fuel pump and starter won't work.

Happened SVA day (last Aug) and on Sunday. Got stuck for half an hour turning battery cut off switch on and off, sometime immobiliser worked sometimes did not. Tapped box and worked once but not the next time (after getting petrol)Thought it was a sticking relay originally but not so sure????

Came home and again would not re start. Almost seems it needs to cool down as it worked after another half hour wait Any clues Got very close to a relay service on Sunday.

Is there any other things to check or is it almost definitely an imobiliser fault.

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Richard,

May not be the immobiliser; might be the solenoid sticking on the starter motor. It's happened to me and a couple of others I know (and confirmed by CC aftersales as "not unknown" on Kseries at least) - it's affected by the heat from the exhaust. Leave it half an hour or so to cool down, and it works fine.

New starter motor, if so. Caterham supply a "new improved" item for Kseries.

HTH,

ALan

Aztec Orange Superlight

Edited by - AlanB on 31 Mar 2004 07:55:28

Alan, I know what you mean, I rebuilt my starter solenoid and have had no more problems since (excellent instructions Mark - thanks). But I'm sure it can't be anything like that because those starter problems only happen to inferior K-series engines, not those fancy new all-singing all-dancing Duratecs!

Seriously though Richard, if the fuel pump isn't running sometimes, then it must be a dodgy immobiliser mustn't it?

C

Slight hyjack but I've got a similar problem with my starter and was going to take the solenoid apart, it appears to be the connection from the battery feed being loose so thought about reinforcing with solder on the inside,any chance you can send me Mark's fix Charlie.

Phil S7SVN

PRS, you can find the instructions here they are very good and have solved the starter problems I still had after fitting the relay... almost £0 cost and only a couple of hours light work to do... (if that) - most tricky bit is just getting the thing off the car! - my tip for this is to use an allen key socket set and then you can stick the key in the head of the allen nut and use a spanner to turn the key (IYSWIM) - there's not enough room to attach the socket wrench.

Thanks Charlie.

Darn....CC delivered a "new improved" starter motor yesterday (£95 plus VAT, fyi). It's made in the Czech republic!. I'm informed I will have to file a "small amount" of metal off the block to fit it, too. Will definitely attempt to repair the existing item as suggested.

Cheers,

Alan

Aztec Orange Superlight

It's good to see that CCs engineering skills are still up to scratch. Now available, starter motors and alternators, all you need to make them work is to strip and rebuild them, do a bit of filing of the block, oh you'll need to spin the comm up on a lathe fit new brushes and recut the segs, but it's only 95 sovs. Jesus.

An alternative to buying a complete starter set is to just replace the solenoid - it is not cheap (mine cost £36), but it is a lot cheaper than the complete unit and I now have a cleaned and restored solenoid as a backup.

Warning: You need to be careful with the big copper bolt that has the fat red cable on. Mine cracked the cover as I loosened the nut on it - I guess it had been overtightened in the past....

Steve

Thanks for the info (no thanks to those poking fun of my poor sick car *mad* *wink*).

Could be a starter motor problem but the Shurlok immobiliser still does not always reset when I am having this problem and the fuel pump can't be heard *confused* Also don't think I have a K series starter, think it was a Raceline / Ford one, not that that means it should be perfect though!!!

Will have to ring Shurlok I think *confused* Just so embarasing having a car that shouts out so much in bright yellow and being a se7en in France and parked up with the bonnet off 😳

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon