Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Luke Harness in new cars – free right for left exchange

ianrm

After messing up my passenger harness buckle trying to change it from left to right fixed strap, I had to send it to Luke to repair it (they charged a very reasonable £31 for a new buckle).

During my conversation it was mentioned that Caterham only supplied left-handed buckles as standard. However I was told that if you send the unused left-handed harness back they will swap it free of charge for a right handed one.

Might be useful if you want to avoid the ‘buckle on side of body work’ collision that is common with passengers getting out of the car.

When talking to Luke about this - they took a very dim view of anyone doing it themselves.

Apparently when the buckles and harnesses are produced they go through a rigorous safety testing process which obviously can't be done at home and could possibly have safety (possibly liability) implications if the harness or buckle failed in the event of a crash.

I`ve sent harnesses to Luke for repair etc and to be honest they are so efficient and reasonable that it simply isn`t worth doing these things yourself. I had repairs and fixings changed last year for very little money and the straps were returned within a couple of days *thumbup*

Have engine.......need car

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

Except it might not be a bad idea to have a manufactures guarentee when we are talking about harnesses. Which you wouldn't have if you do a self help. Especially if you are trying to claim for personal injuries in the event of an accident, as we all know how some insurance companies like to wriggle *cool*

Richard

Hope that wasn't a dig, *smile* I carry out all my own maint including a complete engine re-build last year. I just wouldn't screw around with harnesses. Mine are Willans anyway, so I don't have the buckle problem.

Edited by - Casbar on 28 Jan 2004 23:09:28

• Leadership Team

Hi Richard,

Yes I did mine as well *eek* If you remove the harness lower sections from the car and get them on a good flat surface, it's a doodle to do - you'd be mad to sit in the car and do it. However, this means having removed the harness I'll need to send the car back to have it refitted because of the safety implications of doing it wrong *eek*

The design of the buckle is such that you'd need to be fairly mechanically inept to make a real balls of it - just be aware of the safety issues and use a little common sense *thumbup*

Stu.

• Area Representative

Hi Stu,

That reminds me!

You don't need to unbolt the harness from the car.

The fixed strap can be removed by pushing the spring loaded retaining peg from behind using something like a jewelers screwdriver or a small allen key. There are holes in the back plate for this purpose.

Thanks for that last tip. I just swapped my buckle over and it only took 2 minutes.

Use small allen key in hole to release buckle from belt.

Undo screw under sticker on front.

Remove red knob

Undo two small screws under knob

Remove plate

Swap fixed pin with the one opposite

Reverse the above to re-assemble

You'd have to be a right numtie to fsck it up

Ray