Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Starter Button - Rip Off

Harry Flatters

I have just bought an R500 starter button from Caterhams parts department, for which the charged me the princely sum of £14.89 (incl VAT).

When it arrived this morning, I noticed it was still in it's original distibutors packet, Farnell Electronics. Just out of interest I had a poke around Farnell's website and guess what, they only want £8.05 + VAT and that's for a 1 off quantity. Buy 250 and they only cost £6.60. So CC are making about 100% profit!

For anybody interested here are the details from Farnell's site.

Tel 0870 1200 200

Fax 0870 1200 201

Email enquiries@farnell.com

Web www.farnell.com

Order Code 109282

Description SWITCH,FLUSH RED

Manufacturer ITW SWITCHES

Manufacturer Part Code 76-949023 Å“IND BAG]

Pack Quantity 1

Pricing Family 0

Catalogue Page Number 4:490

Volume prices:

Quantity Price £

1+ 8.05

10+ 7.80

25+ 7.65

50+ 7.29

100+ 6.87

250+ 6.60

Steve, no doubt you´re right but personally I think that´s the price we pay for driving a low quantity sports-car. Somehow Caterham have to gain some money somewhere and as far as I know no one around Jez Coates or Graham Nearn can call himself a millionair. Personally I don´t know any other car-brand where you can call the technical-director or even manager just for a small technical advise. They have to pay their stuff somehow....

Don´t get me wrong, I´m not happy about their prices but I think it´s worth keeping companys like Caterham alive by spending little more on little things.

wink.gif

Marius

Mike,

£8.05 is Farnell's retail price, available to every man and his dog, so CC are marking up what is already a retail price.

Marius,

I agree broadly with all that you say, I just think it's a bit strong to simply buy in a product from one source, mark up the retail price by 100% (and not even re-package it) and then sell it out to us poor saps.

You're probably right, this maybe the price we have to pay to own and drive a great car. CC could of course avoid any criticism if the simply stuck the part in an unmarked poly-bag and in which case none of us would be any the wiser.

Anyway - moan over - I'll go and fit the damn button now.

farnell also sell Mobil 1. Cant remember what flavour it was, but definitely in 4l packs.

It also help when you buy loads from them and slip in little extras like swiches LEDs etc.

Farnell also have a range of LEDs that can be used as direct replacements for the crap lamps Caterham fit. All colours available. I currently have replave ignition, indicator, and main beam. The hyper bright blue hurts your eyes at night. Any want their p/numbers let me know

Andrew

Andrew.

My car's a '93 with VDO instruments that give a nice green glow ( & legible) dial at night + switches that are dim but easy to see.thumbsup.gif

It was only looking at new cars did I realise the change of approach on new cars. The dials are almost unreadable at night 'cos they're so dim, yet you're blinded by the switch gear ones!!!thumbsdown.gif

PS. Those starter buttons do look good though!

Andrew,

Are you saying that the replacement LED lamps are very bright, or the original Caterham fittings? I have had to paint the bulbs on the original warning lights, as I have found them to be very distracting at night.

I would be interested in the Farnell LEDs if a little on the dim side....

Andrew

All LEDs bought were specified 24v.

High eff RED 301 4484 2.83 ea

green 3014496 2.83

yellow 301 4502

red 301 4230 2.90 ea

gren 301 4241 2.9 ea

yellow 301 4253 2.9 ea

blue 301 4265 6.36

white 301 4277 6.36

there is also a sunlight readable series, but they are bright. the blue hurts your eyes at night. all can be toned down by adding more series resistance. circa 1000 ohms at a time to the desired level.

green can be used to replace the indicator by using 2 diodes. the supply through the current lamp flows both ways. not liked by leds in one direction.

i have found the original lamps on my slr to be crap. the 10mm LED looks so much better. brightness controlled by series resistor. the indicator lamp could have been on all day and you would not have noticed.

I gave Andy Ball a HE red for his blackbird. Caterham had fitted a green lamp, and you could not see when it was in neutral. fairly important on a blackbird car. now ther is no doubt.

andrew

Edited by - Andrew Dent on 15 Jan 2001 22:17:09

Andy,

Thanks for the details, just a couple of questions.

Why 24v and not 12v.

Do the 10mm ones fit OK cos the hole in the dash is nealy 13mm.

On the indicator, what happens if you connect the LED without diodes.

What diodes would I need and how does the wiring look.

Sorry to be a pain

Regards

Steve Mell

PTM 88

the 24v led has a higher resistance than the 12v led. it just means it will be a little dimmer. with these leds, they are very intense. tuning levels of intensity by serial resistance. the leds are a direct fit straight into the existing holes and then onto teh spade connector. holes might need a little work with a round file.

to use green led for indicator.

cathodes of diodes joined together and forming the feed to the anode of the led. anode of the diodes to the spade connectors that once made the connections. cathode of the led to 0 volts. that should work. use a 1A diode, something like a 1N4001. I have several thousand of these at work if you are struggling to get some

Andrew

• 10 months later...

sorry to drag this one up again !!! but i have brought the following for farnell

r500 push button

red led m14 mat chrome 24vdc

blue led m14 mat chrome 24vdc

green led m14 mat chrome 24vdc

to begin with the Push button what do i connect the "Starter motor signal" a red/white wire and the "Constant live " a brown wire as the r500 push button has four termials on the back !!! any ideas will help or maybe you could have a look !!!

how do i wire up the leds !!! are thay a straight swap ? cause these have 3 termials

any help tips would be great many thanks

Paul

"Lets see if i can get it ready for next summer";)

Be aware, I spoke to GWR motorsport on a starter related subject, and on many starter motors the current required to kick the solenoid is in the region of 30A

If you use wire of too smaller gauge the starter solenoid will not kick with the force required to engage and it will "miss crank"

GWR reccomended I use 1.5mm² section cable for this as a minimum.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Its a two pole switch - i.e two swithed pairs of contacts.

There is no specific orientation for the connections - they will either work or not work. Try at random until you get the latter, or you may find a small diagram moulded on the switch body which shows you the terminal wiring.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

• 1 month later...