Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wheel offsets

robmar

Having been round and round this loop recently, I offer the following:

Offset is the distance between the vertical centre of the hub and the mounting face of the rim itself. So if the mounting face of the rim is exactly aligned to the centre of the rim, then it has 0 offset. If on the other hand the mounting face is closer to the outside of the rim, this is a positive offset and if the mounting face is nearer to the inside of the rim, then this is a negative offset.

I have a 1989 DeDion which has the older style Ford hubs and have just fitted 6 x 13 KN Minators all round, the wheels having 23mm of positive offset - the fronts fitted fine, the rears needed a 3mm spacer to clear the DeDion tube - I understand that the hubs fitted to later models (1991?+) are slightly wider and won't need this spacer

Not sure on live axle cars, but the PCD of the wheel will certainly be different to the DeDion version.

SteveP

Good day!

Off-sets are:

1) Identical for live and De-Dion axled cars

2) +23mm for 6" wheels

3) +18mm for 7" wheels

PCD (pitch circle diameter) is different for live and De-Dion but I can't remeber the exact figures. Di-Dion's are Ford fitment and Live are Ital, however, during the last bulk buy I did fine a live axle car running Ford PCD!

Hope this helps and if it's for a "bulk buy" then good luck because the fun has only just started.............!

Hoopy, See you at Cadwell on the 20th, don't forget your licence!

Rob M.

40th Anniversary Vauxhall Man

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

Rob,

Offsets were researched when we were trying to put together the recent Ultralite Bulk purchase. Caterham and Mike Barnaby confrirmed that the 6" & 6.5" both had +18mm and the 8.5" +23mm. Now the tricky part is you can measure a dozen different wheels and get a different back depth on each. Backdepth is from the inner edge of the rim to the mounting flange and this is down to how the edge of the spun rim is finished. Also what you have to bear in mind is that as an example a 6" rim refers to the width of the tyre bead sealing faces and not the overall width of the rim which will be around 7" for a 6J wheel. Confused I hope not. *confused*

Rob,

THe other problem that we found was that a particular manufacturer who will remain nameless had his spun sections machined with a taper on the inner faces and these fouled the de dion ears. The MBR and SLR split rims have the necessary clearance in this area. Lastly its important that the hub mounting face can clear the rear brake calipers and a clearance is also necessary in that area.

• 16 years later...

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I keep coming up with different numbers here are my superlite rims anyone know the offset?

I came up with negative 35mm but me thinks I am wrong 

I got 

250mm from the ground to the flange / 2 = 125mm

160mm from the hub face to the flange 

125 - 160 = >35mm

SuperliteRimFront2.thumb.jpg.4869210fefc705d942499b0fc232711d.jpg

SuperliteRimBack.thumb.jpg.aca240ce3d5efa4e0377d4a88073e2aa.jpg 

• Area Representative

Whilst I haven't got any of these wheels, minus 35 sounds too far inset.

I'd got in my mind that 8.5" MB's were around minus 24mm offset, and I've just measured a bare wheel, and actually measured minus 22mm.

I recall, when I've run 215 tyres on 8.5" MB's, there is not much clearance for the wheel to be any further inset (particularly while in roll in a corner), so I think its unlikely that your wheels are -35

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hub face to flange'. That would be 0 surely. Also, are you measuring with the tyre fitted and resting on the ground? If so have you taken account of the amount the wheel is raised by the tyre?

Yep I am sure I am incorrect

I used this Technique and come up with the >35mm 

The Hoosiers are outside the rim so yes that would most likely be causing an issue as well

Were these rims supplied by Caterham back in the day? If so I will reach out to them.

Your measurement method is correct, as is the result, assuming the straight edge is across the rear flange and you are measuring 250mm through the wheel to the front flange. Offset (or inset in this case) is the distance from the mounting face to the centreline of the wheel. ET -35 can work on the Caterham, but the front wing stays and rear radius arms or Watts linkages will restrict the tyre width that can be fitted. ET -23 with the 8x13 rear and 6x13 front is a typical Caterham offset.

Thanks

The only reason for this question is new rear CF fenders from Wassermann as they offer different widths he wanted to be certain I ordered the correct ones 

As coming from Germany I cant exactly return them if they are incorrect 

I am sure the ones I have fitted (KCD) are standard but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks Everyone