Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noisy clutch - is this normal?

Mole

Just been running the engine on my 1.8 k series to test for leaks, oil pressure, running temp, steady tickover etc. etc. Everything appears normal except that the clutch is very noisy. The noise disappears when I depress the clutch pedal. Difficult to describe the noise accurately! Not heavy enough to be a "clonking", not harsh enough to be a "grinding" but you probably get the picture! It varies with engine speed. It also seems to me that once I had run the engine for a while, it didn't seem as bad, but this could just have been me getting used to it!

Is this normal (TADTS) - will it reduce/go away as something beds in, or do I have a serious problem?

Any help will be greatfully received!

Keep flying low

Mole @ the animal with attitude (well almost!)

Mole,

Sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing (but I hope it isn't, for your sake). My 1.8SS made similar noises about a year ago before the CRB disintegrated in spectacular fashion (search the archives if you want the full lurid details). You can fix it with a £10 part, but you'll need to lift out the engine and gearbox first!

Btw, how old is your car? If it's new(ish), seek redress under the warranty.

JV

Moral of the (my) tale: Don't be tempted to use the clutch pedal as a footrest!

The car is new new - i.e. I've just finished the build and booked for SVA in two weeks. It has done 0 (zero) road miles so if it is the release bearing then it has to have been faulty to start with. I was very careful assembling all of this area beccause I new that any mistakes meant engine out again - not a prospect that I relish! Wonder if it will hold together long enough for the 5 mile round trip for the SVA?

Keep flying low

Have you got the six speed box. If so this will make a similar noise when in neutral, you depress the clutch and the noise goes away, when driving (in gear) the noise isn't present either.

If this is the case then this is perfectly normal (apparently, well my Superlight does it anyway).

cheers,

Mike.

Deja vu!

I've done a thorough search of the archives and this topic seems to have been raised several times - sorry guys - If I had known I wouldn't have posted!

Anyway, the balance of opinion is that the "rumbling" noise (as it seems most commonly described) is to do with the gearbox input shaft and not the clutch itself. To summarise: In several threads the first culprit identified is the clutch release bearing, this suggestion then being pooh poohed (spelling?) on the basis that the noise is frequently present from new and continues, apparently without ill-effect for a long time. It seems a genuine case of TADTS!

I have decided not to worry too much - I'll save that for strange noises when I depress the clutch - this appears to be far more serious than strange noises that go away when the clutch is depressed!

Thanks all.

Keep flying low

The description in one of the previous threads that put my mind at rest was that the input shaft chatter/rumble increased the lower the idlle speed, (800rpm and lumpy on myxflow).

The alternative to sitting at the lights with the clutch in, which can only shorten the life of the clutch release bearing, is to rest your foot lightly on the accelerator and increase the idle to 1100rpm at which point the noise goes away - for my car at least.

Nick