Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series sump foam removal - results anyone?

JonW

In a thread (http://www.blatchat.com/t.asp?Id=112610) a few weeks back people mentioned that they were going to remove the foam and leave it out...

I watched that thread with great interest as I was about to replace the foam in my R300 engine once I got back from my hols - im now back... I already have the foam and a new gasket (upon which I perform Oily's mods). I also have an Apollo fitted.

...so guys-who-removed-the-foam - any reservations after a few weeks hard use?

If you talk to Dave Andrews he thinks the stuff is made by the Devil!!

He wont let people fit it when he has done an engine rebuild.

Have a look on Myles Davisons website here

He had a engine fail because of this stuff having done only 250 miles!!

Having said that people do thousands of miles with them in without a problem.

Ive not run with one since my engine rebuild a couple of years ago and would not fit one.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

www.OBNS.co.uk

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

The foam in mine was starting to crumble when pulled at 9.5k, but hadn't fallen apart. I doubt it would have been nice after another 2.5k, and I didn't put in a new piece.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

I've been running without sump foam and Oily's sump gasket mod since January to no obvious detriment as far as I can tell.

I run with Silkolene Pro S 5W 40 and an Apollo.

Must admit though I have noticed a few small bubbles in the oil on the end of the dipstick when checking the oil level which got me thinking. *confused*

Bozz

My Chocolate Orange here

Took mine out as a safeguard (only gone about 1400 miles but had used mineral and semi-synth oil so was worried by tales of mineral oils attacking the foam). The foam was still OK but slightly odd feeling as if it was gradually hardening.

I did the Oily gasket mod but scrapped tmy original idea of fitting a one way flap below the extra holes (to inhibit oil leaving the sump in right handers) because of the need for a very shallow fixing of this flap given the LH side of the gasket has to sit in a narrow gap just above the ali plate in sump.

Have seen no pressure problems on the road even with the level set about 2/3 up from the bottom of the permitted range but I have not really door-handled the thing yet.

Colin

Thanks everyone! Ive now done the oil change, fitted a new drilled gasket and removed the foam baffle - I will be keeping an eye on the pressure in corners and see how it goes. *smile*

Interestingly the foam looked ok even tho my car has had a head gasket blow recently, but there were thin strips of someting in the strainer - approx 2mm wide by 8-10mm long. Is this the seaweed spoken about? It looks different to the baffle foam so im not really sure what it is otherwise...

Cheers again for chiming in everyone! Jon

I can't help thinking that, with the very different lifespans of different people's foams that a batch may have got made out of a different material to the original spec. Even in my small business I find it hard to make sure that repeat orders are made to the correct spec. I've had a number of situations where, for example, a supplier has made up antivibration mounts up out of whatever grade of material they happen to have on the shelf rather than the grade we need. I hear that CC have had a few changes of staff and that certainly won't help in such situations.

Colin

Just removed my foam when I was down at DVA and Dave drilled 2 holes in the gasket to improve oil flow to the pickup. Oil pressure still seems fine on the road.

Haven't got an Apollo fitted yet but there's one sitting at Nifty's if I can ever sort out transport arrangements. Hope it's not in your way Nifty?

Phil

1997 Brooklands Green 1.8 Supersport

Interestingly the foam looked ok even tho my car has had a head gasket blow recently, but there were thin strips of someting in the strainer - approx 2mm wide by 8-10mm long. Is this the seaweed spoken about? It looks different to the baffle foam so im not really sure what it is otherwise...

The 'crispy-seaweed' description is pretty-much bang-on - so I would guess your 2mm-wide strips aren't (directly) filaments from the foam.

Did you get to see the HG when it was removed? Could be strips of rubber from that *confused*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Hi Myles, No I didnt get to see the HG as it happened some miles before I bought the car. The strips seemed to disintegrate when squished with my fingernail and were very thin indeed so I didnt think they were rubber. there were a few at the bottom of the sump too and wiping them out with papertowel caused one to break up and smear on the rough surface in there. They were so weak that I dont think they would cause any damage if they went thru the engine but would easily block the oil pickups etc and it seemed they wouldnt break down unless 'squahsed'. All gone now I hope... there was less than 10 of these in there btw.