Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to remove an allen head set bolt REMOVED ]

Bilbo

Well currently in the middle of changing the Cam belt on the BD. Its just a bit of preventive maintenance and I change them far earlier than needed. Its half off and I can not get the crank dizzy allen set bolts out. Also I can not get the belt back on again, actually it gone back twice but just to add to my fun the car is in gear with the handbrake on is not locking the crankshaft which is dam odd. That makes me think the clutch is not engaging. Which is really odd as I lined up the camshaft and crank marks pushing the car in gear. In fact its moving fairly freely and number one piston moves with it not that I have checked the others *confused*

I have changed it before this should be a relatively easy job of about a hour I have been in the garage all day.

So one out no problem the other two stuck fast and one now has the inner allen key corners turned off. Its imperial 3/16, I have tried grinding a metric allen key socket to fit that's fine on the one I have out useless on the first ones that's stuck. Nobody seems to sell imperial ones.

The future problem is that the set bolt will need the head ground off that's an engine out job but the engine does not come out with the dizzy in place. Doubt a small grinder on a drill will make an impression where its locate, drillings a waste of time.

So any ideas for a long term solution, the best I can think of is get a rod tack welded to the allen set bolt.

My fault really as I locked them with locktite last thing I need is to get one vibrated loose.

As to the clutch well that's stuck on the spines and probably will be fine once its started ☹️

Currently Cadwell on Tuesday is looking very iffy.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Edited by - Bilbo on 3 Jun 2006 19:58:10

Hi Myles

Well thier web site only shows metric still I will ask them after the holiday

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Have you tried a stud extractor (the lh thread tap thingies) in the hex?

When you replace them, only fit Unbrakos (also marked S.P.S). The quality is so much better than the trash that you will find in a d.i.y. supermarket.

Hi PaulD

Hate um never have worked for me. These are very had steel and more importantly no chance of getting a drill on it without the engine out.

Thanks anyway *thumbup*

I have had success with hammering a torx drive into a rounded cap-head.

But if you have access and a MIG welder, welding a biggish nut to the head might work - weld up the hole in the middle - the heat will softed the loctite and the nut should give you some purchase. Last resort tho, as mucking it up will make using any other tool rather difficult.

Bri

Hi

Thanks for the advice I have managed to get the old cam belt back on so at least I am going to Cadwell tomorrow. Only took 2 hours ☹️

So looks like a job for next weekend.

Hi Mav

See you tomorrow don't ask how I got the cam belt back on its embarrassing and not to be recommended. Bit of a kill or cure option,

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Well I have removed the Allen bolt with my new socket Allen key, easily removed it with a tap from a hammer to lock it. Think it was a case of my old keys were worn.

Still it may have to go back as I could not buy new ones today and I am currently in the middle of changing the cam belt. Well the new ones in place but only half reassembled and I need to check its position.

Hi Roger

I did buy some from here very prompt service nice quality *thumbup*

Wish i bought some ages ago working with them is a lot easier tha a key