Click here if you are having website access problems ×

proportioning valve

CHRIS GALE

I have what i think is a common problem with the seven.

On standard brakes when my size 12 hits the middle peddle (some times all three pedals)but in this instance the middle one, the rears lock up even in the dry.

What are your oppinions on fitting a proportioning valve over uprated front brakes and do they actually improve all round stopping?

I hope their are some positive answers to this one as i have the valve sat on bench ready for fitting.(i always seem to do everything ass about face.)

Its worth the price of fitting one as they are not dear. You will have fewer 'oh my god' moments. Also they are compatible with front brake upgrades as you may find as I did that 4 pots didn't cure the rear first lock-up problem, and I ended fitting a valve anyway to cure the problem.

Being equally stupid, where can you buy one? I have seen Dave A's description of modifying a Mini valve, but I don't have the kit to do the mods and I hate working on brakes - wimp I know, but I trust other (qualified) people with the more life threatening components.

Would James Whiting do one???

Well I actually fitted it today, next to the heater pull knob. Had to re-position the immobiliser slightly, it's now easily adjustible from inside. Borrowed a friends flareing tool but had problems getting a good seal. Two attempts later, success.

I used the Tilton 7 posn lever, I thought it would be better than the screw down type because you can remember the posns.

I havn't had chance to try it yet, so can't pass comment.

BUT IT WON'T BE LONG.

C7 CJG

Valve works by allowing full pressure to rears until a predetermined threshold pressure in the line is reached . At which point depending on the valve type it either shuts off the pressure to the rears ie any further increase in pedal effort only results in the front line pressure incresing from that point . OR if it is a reducing valve then the pressure is reduced by the ratio in areas of the piston in the valve as it 'cuts in ' then the rear line pressure only increases by half than that seen by the fronts if the ratio is say 2:1 .

The cut in is set by a spring acting on the piston in the valve , adjustable ones function in the same way all you are doing is increasing or decreasing the preload on the piston .

Performance Braking 01600 713117 can supply and give any expert advice required .

I bought one through Demon Tweeks - speak to Dave K direct. Dont't fit one to a new car you are building until after the SVA test - it will not pass with one in place. I've heard stories of people having to physically disable the valve permanently at the test in order to pass on the day and the test centre taking a photo to prove the device was inoperative.

Also if you want to compete in certain series, you cannot have the valve able to be adjusted on the fly so it can't be positioned on the dashboard or close by where you can get to it, whether you'd actually get caught is another matter.