Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-series exhaust - how to part at the 4-1 manifold?

NigeB

Hi All,

Please excuse my not-very-precise language here - I'm not sure what the correct terminology is!

The exhaust on my 1998 1.8 K-series appears to be blowing somewhat. If I clamp my hand over the end of the pipe at idle speed, I get almost no difference in engine revs, where I assumed it would struggle to keep turning over. The problem area appears to be a section of the exhaust visible on the exterior of the car, where the 4 pipes merge into 1 (4-1 manifold?). With said hand in place, I can feel a strong jet coming from one of the 4-pipe joints, and there is some sooting around the problem area, so I figure that's my first call.

I've read the posts describing the use of sealants etc to fix blowing - no problem there. My problem is a bit more fundamental - I can't pull the thing apart. Have removed the 2 bolts which hold the 4-pipe interface together (via some plates welded on to two of the pipes), and the main bolt of the mounting point at the outlet, but no matter how hard I tug, it won't budge. Is there a trick to this? (Am I a weakling?)

As an aside,I've been told that allowing the blowing to continue will have a detrimental effect on the valves. Is that true?

Many Thanks

Nige

T.A.D.T.S. (they all do that sir) Mines done it for the last 5 years. As Myles says use a little "persuasion" when separating. Undo all the bolts, get someone to support the end of the silencer, & start persuading.

When re-fitting use a smear of coppaslip on the joint which'll allow it to come apart more easily. You can try some gum stuff to try & improve the seal but I think most peoples opinion is it only works for a short while.

Edited by - Mick Day on 29 Apr 2006 12:18:09

Just had the same problem - I guess that it was the first time it had been seperated for 5 or maybe even 10 yrs.

2 people made it much easier, although it still took 10 mins to 'crack' the joint and seperate. Lots of wiggling holding end of tail pipe (making sure movement did not hit paintwork) and friend applying pressure and WD40 to the joint and it will finally decide to admit defeat and come off. Another one of those jobs that is as much about patience and determination - I only have the latter!

Miles, Mick, Casey -

Many thanks for your responses. I went out and found a friend (who comes equipped with soft hammer!) to help as suggested - a little tapping and wiggling and the thing came apart. It's back together and sealed - not perfect, but better than before, and I now know how to do it next time if required.

Thanks for your quick and useful replies - very much appreciated!

Cheers

Nigel