Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow Going TOO fast - Help!

TerryF

Having taken advantage of the weekend's foul weather to service the 7 (1600 Classic SE with unleaded head) I took it out for a short drive to warm the oil prior to changing it. Car running really well, so came back, changed oil and filter, nothing else, and started it up again. Oil pressure came up well but so did the revs, and it 'settled' at 4000rpm! Some fiddling with the slow running adjustment got it down to 3000rpm, but it will not idle. There is no obvious problem with the throttle cable. Any ideas where to start looking please?

TerryF

TerryF

If it's on carbs I would be looking at the mounting O rings. It's possible for them to be blown out of their location in the plate, causing an instant massive increase in airflow at idle. Make sure the engine hasn't ingested one...this is more common than you think. Also check the inlet manifold gasket, and the tightness of your manifold bolts.

Chris.

a quick way to check if it is the carbs' attachment to the engine, is to gently push and pull each carb in turn when it's idling. if the revs move much either way, there's something up with the mounting.

as an aside, mine once idled at 4000rpm because it had been rained on overnight. no one can tell me why, but if the carbs were soaked, that might have been a factor ?

good luck.. j