Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Still got squealing brakes

DomRees

I have searched the archives on this subject, done the simple thing (jetwashing) but now need to do the slightly more complicated thing of applying copperslip. How much do I need? I dont really want to buy a load of it, just to sit there in silence, unused, in the back of the shed.

I guess what I am after is a kind samaritan who could provide a glob of it, and perhaps a guiding hand in doing the deed itself?!?

cheers *wink*

• Support Team

It will come in useful for other stuff as well - wipe a little onto the threads of any bolt you have to undo/replace as it will stop it from seizing. Halfords do actually sell a small tube of it as well as the big tubs. Do a search on here for how to remove the brake pads - it's not difficult - and you just need to put a small smear on the back of the pad (not the friction surface as one poor blatchatter did). As you aren't actually replacing the pads with new, you won't need a brake windback tool.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

wipe a little onto the threads of any bolt you have to undo/replace

...unless it's one you need to thread-lock...

As you aren't actually replacing the pads with new, you won't need a brake windback tool.

You will probably need to apply some pressure to get the pads (front, I assume) a little way from the discs - especially if your discs are worn and have an outer lip as a result.

If you are struggling to get front pads back in and resort to the spanner trick, don't forget that you need to retract *all* pistons in the same caliper at the same time - otherwise, retracting the inner piston(s) will usually force the outer ones closer to the disc IYSWIM.

Some brake info and stuff here

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks Myles, I have printed off your guide, it looks like even a non spanner-wielding gibbon like myself can do it.

What gets me though is that I asked CC Midlands to do them (whilst they were doing the rears) and now it looks like I just wasted a few quid!! *mad*

Does this idea of copperslip on the backs of pads as an anti squeal solution actually work?

I have periodic horrible squealing from what I think is a back brake on our 1991 DD, though it's actually not easy to tell as the sound seems to rebound off the front and rear wings making it hard to place.

I've been getting it happen periodically on a Subaru Outback as well.

Yes copper slip definately works. Having just read Myles's brake info (which is very informative *thumbup*) it seems my front pads have no anti squeal shims and the copper slip stopped my brakes squealing *thumbup* Well worth the £1.99 from Halfords