Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reversing light

JKJ

Could someone help me out with the following electrical problem please. The rear drivers side reversing light, the old Wipac type, will not come on when selecting reverse, the other side works OK, even with the bulb from the faulty unit installed.

If I put a multimeter across the terminals of the dodgy one there is 12 volt supply, I have also renewed the earth connection. With the bulb in place though, there is no voltage shown on the meter. No other lights are defective, and looking at the wiring diagram both lights appear to share the same earth wire. The only thing that might be suspect is that in these units the bulb fitting might become a little loose with age, but even nipping up does not help. I could run with just one but I like things symmetrical.

The reversing lights are unusual in that they are live all the time and earthed through the switch on the gearbox.

If one works the switch is fine.

One terminal therefore, should be 12v all the time and the other should have earth continuity only when in reverse.

If you have the old bullet connections, check them for corrosion, and also the bulb holder. There should be no additional earths on the reversing lights.

HTH

Lawrence