Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What is a trunnion?

JimB

• Area Representative

It's a threaded swivel joint Jim, usually brass and filled with grease or heavy oil. The vertical link or upright has an external thread and the trunnion has a matching internal thread.

It's a legacy from the small Triumph (Herald/Vitesse/Spitfire/GT6) range of cars from which our 7s take their front suspension. Most modern cars, including later Caterhams, run a spherical bearing.

If I've typed this before anyone else has replied I'll be very surprised *wink*

Crudders

Edited to add that although 'our' trunnions are threaded it doesn't necessarily follow - you can have a smooth trunnion in which a kingpin upright swivels for example.

Edited by - Crudders on 26 Apr 2006 13:00:05

• 3 weeks later...
Most modern cars, including later Caterhams, run a spherical bearing.

Hi, quick question hopefully, do these spherical bearings ever need lubrication? If so, what should I squirt on them? *biggrin*

M.

Martin Saunders

ohh, is it upgrade time? :)

• Area Representative

Hi Martin,

You'll probably get as many ayes to the right as nos to the left on that one *wink*

As I understand it though (prepares to duck for cover) they are designed to be self lubricating and do not need any help in that department - any grease or oil added may lubricate the joint but will also attract damaging grit.

I haven't done any mileage on mine yet but intend to leave them alone.

Crudders

thx for all the feedback. Additional question: I've been told NOT to put grease in the trunnions - but they have a grease nipple on them? I've tried putting oil in a grease gun to lube them - doesn't work and VERY messy. The only other way I know is to undo them, unscrew them, fill and reassemble. Pain. Is there any other way of doing it, or can I just use grease?

Stinky toy driver - and proud of it!

JATR, you should fill a grease gun with 90EP gear oil. This will not run out and can be pumped into the trunnion. You may need to "seal" the bottom which has a core plug but often leaks oil. If you clean the core plug (the round penny size disc) and put some thick super glue around the edge to stop the oil running out.

When you have finished drian the oil from the greas gun.

ed to ad that if you turn the wheel from side to side when pumping oil in all the better.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 18 May 2006 12:25:01

😬 Should have known you'd be along Mark, any mention of a thread and he's off. *tongue*

ISTR I put some CV boot slime in mine in the past, certainly it was as black as the ace of spades when it eventually wore out and I replaced it.

Oh, and I reckon "groil" sounds much better. 😬

Whad-da-ya mean? You were there well before me & I never mentioned the thread. Anyway, what's all this stuff about trunniaeae??

I think I prefer groil, sounds like a cross between groin & gruel..............the mind boggles! 😬

BTW, the Grads are at Cadwell on the 27/28th May (testing/racing).

😬 I'm in Slovakia on 27 May. Tough life I know, but then I am unemployed. (actually I'm still on full pay, but that won't last for ever) *smile*

Trunniaeae, trunnia, trunnii, who knows. I'm certainly not going to start calling them anything as boring as "trunnions" when I have an alternative.

Going out to the shed now to mix up some groil. Sounds like something from Macbeth.

"Groil from longdead reptile's head, fresh found in Battered's shed...finger of birth-strangled babe, ditch-delivered by a drab..."

Battered old Shakespearean,

2-axes - I guess so in the tri/moggie/cat case. Not strictly generic trunnion functionality methinks?

In fact never considered running along the trunnion as significant. It almost seems its meant to lean the vehicle into the bend?