Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel tank removal

Delberts Wallet

Just wait till you try putting the floor back - if you thought you had problems getting it out - i knew it went in 'cos i took it out, but it took me ages and ages and ages. Next time I'm cutting the bit out that goes behind the petrol hoses!

My brand new, filled once with petrol leaked where one of the internal baffles had been welded Caterham suppied a new tank before SVA.

Bri

Jack the car up - it helps. Remove the boot floor. Disconnect all hoses and wires. Remove the two long bolts and the bar that holds the tank in. Plug off the return pipe with a fuel injection tank.

Lift up one side and drop the other down towards the floor. The tank should be manouverable into an upright position. Now lift it vertically upwards between the two rear tubes of the roll-over bar.

Am just doing this today on my cross-flow as part of the winter re-build. The boot floor is the biggest pain. NEVER force it as it will easily damage the external ali on the sides of the car. It will go if you remove it by angling it at exactly the same angle as the back stays on the roll over bar and then lifting one side and removing it to the left or right over the rear mudguards. You don't need to remove the roll over bar to remove the tank either.

OK, I've got the tank out. The floor was no problem wink.gif. Is it possible to get the tank repair or is it best to get a new one. The hole seems to be along edge that sit on the bottom supports.

One thing I did notice is that there are a couple of mark on the de-dion tube that line up with the metal fixing straps and both of the straps were loose. The leak may have been cause by the tank moving about and wearing through. Just a thought.

Cheers

Gareth

Who Dares Twins bum.gif bum.gif

Gareth , The tank should sit on some rubber strip, that should prevent the bottom supports wearing through the tank. The straps should be equally protected. Most local engineering firms should easily be able to weld it up provided they have someone who can weld ali. Some are funny about doing fuel tanks, but if you wash it out thoroughly so that there is no hint of petrol vapour it should be easy to do. If when repaired you cannot find any rubber strip, a bicycle inner tube is made of identical stuff and cheap to buy, so just cut one of them up.