Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing Scuttle.

dba11

I am about to remove my scuttle to replace my dashboard and try and tidy up the wiring.

I know there are 4 bolts, 2 each side which need to be undone. But what else needs to be done to remove the scuttle?

TIA

Daren.

Hi Darren,

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing myself, so that I can paint it, I've taken the screen off, just a couple of bolts each side, cut the wires for the heated section, but not too close so that I can put it all back with some of those neat plastic joiners with a little screw inside, it just may be possible to pull the wire for the heating element through the hole in the body skin if the joiner isn't too big, on my new kit it won't go.

Once the screen is off, you'll have to undoe the wiper spindles, and pull off the washer jet pipe, and lastly the biggest job of all, using a Stanley knife, carefully cut through all the silicone that has been liberally spread around all the joins, then strip it all off so that you can re-silicone it when you put it all back.

There may be a rivet either side to drill through, most of the older cars had one, obvious to see.

I think the whole scuttle will now lift off, but no doubt there will still be odd blobs of silicone holding it down, so you may need to "persuade" it a bit.

Best of luck.

Remove th screen.Undo the 2 nuts either side,and the bolts going through the column support,remove the heater screws and the fuse box.Drill out 2 rivets on the out side.Unscrew both wiper spindles and disconnect the washer jet.Disconnect the speedo cable and wires from the brake master cylinder.Unbolt the cut off switch if fitted.On rover cars there is the immobiliser box to be unscrewed on the right hand side.