Click here if you are having website access problems ×

engine revs increase when changing gear

Geoff Dixon

Do they all do this?

Have 1.6 Series fitted with DTH Jenvey throttle bodies.Have just noticed that when changing gear the engine revs increase ever so slightly . Goes something like this - press clutch and release pressure on accelerator, and revs immediately increase by about 100 to 150 rpm before dropping back, all before I have got as far as chaning gear. It is as if when the clutch is disengaged the gearbox drag on the engine is released and this is greater than the effect of lifting off the acclerator. At first I thought it might be the throttle linkage on the throttle bodies but that seems to OK. I have already removed the horrid Jenvey long spring and plastic guide thing. Any ideas? I do not have a lightened flywheel - is it the effect of the heavy old flywheel?

It isn't the flywheel.

It is not possible for a flywheel to accelerate unless a force is acting on it. What you are reporting is an unexpected continuation of engine output after the command has been given to stop accelerating. The DTH throttle bodies should be much better at controlling the throttle response than a plenum.

Do you have an IACV implemented - this could be staying open.

If the throttle linkage is smooth running, this should not happen. You should have good snapshut on the butterflies.

You may have the idle set up with too much air and a reliance on the engine management to trim to an appropriate idle speed. TB balance may also be an issue.

As Dave says, the other culprit will be the map. If it is an Emerald, send the map to me and I will sense check it for you.

Took the linkage apart and disconnected the accelerator cable. Looks like it was the cable as as soon as that was disconected the throttle bodies snapped shut every time I opened them

Looking at the cable there were twists etc in the inner cable so have ordered a new inner and outer cable.

Here's hoping.

Took the linkage apart and disconnected the accelerator cable. Looks like it was the cable as as soon as that was disconected the throttle bodies snapped shut every time I opened them

Looking at the cable there were twists etc in the inner cable so have ordered a new inner and outer cable.

Here's hoping.