Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero fuel cap

Kevin Baker

Story thus far:

My wife buys me an Aero fuel filler cap, from Caterham, which I admire over the winter months and now decide to fit.

All in place, purely cosmetic, but looks fantastic.

Yesterday I set off for Silverstone, calling into BP garage to fill up.

Remove the locking cap, extract nozzle from pump, insert into tank.

Er no! It doesn't fit ☹️

The pump nozzle now hits on the Aero cap and can't br inserted far enough to push down the little flap in the filler neck to allow the fuel to go in!!!

Thanks to one of the garage employees who took the nozzle off a plastic 5ltr can, forced it into the filler neck, got onto his knees and spent 20 minutes putting 25ltrs of fuel into my tank!!

Question - I've been advised by one member to break out the flap within the filler neck. Is this correct or has anyone a better solution *confused*

Kevin

Superlight 143 - Y Ddraig Oren Bach

New style Aero caps have a machined extra half moon cut out in them. Have you installed it at the top???

It is clearly visable as the other half moons are much smaller and the bigger version has no anodising on it.

It enables the nozzle to be inserted at the required angle, i have just fitted one and was told by a member about this cut out. *thumbup* *thumbup*

R500 Mango Madness

Kevin - if you do a search, you'll find that I was on the bleeding-edge of supply of the new-style filler. I had exactly the same problem - Newton even made me a unique outer part with a bigger cutout at the top to try and solve the problem...

Short answer is - you've got to mullah that flap, matey. Some flaps are a little further down than others. The lucky people get to fill the car, the others tend to find out in the forecourt.

I wouldn't get too excited about it - the filler neck isn't exactly precision engineering...

There are still some pics etc. from my exploits here I really ought to update it.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Newton even made me a unique outer part with a bigger cutout at the top to try and solve the problem...

New style Aero caps have a machined extra half moon cut out in them

Oooh - sounds like it made it into production 😬

Didn't help me though. ☹️

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 23 Apr 2006 21:31:43

When Caterham re-skinned my rear panel I asked them to fit a black aero filler cap. I picked my car up and took it to the petrol station to fill up and the nozzle wouldn’t fit as Caterham had fitted the larger cut out towards the bottom. It was Saturday lunchtime and they had all gone home, luckily I had an allen key with me and managed to turn the outer ring through 180º. This didn’t make to much difference and only after 5 mins of swearing did I manage to get the filler nozzle in. Since then I have completely removed the SVA flap from the neck.

Ade

• Support Team

Some BP pump nozzles are much larger diameter part way up the nozzle than normal ones - I have got caught out a couple of times. Other companies' nozzles usually fit with a bit of faffing. If you don't want to knock the flap out then just carry something with you that can be used to push the flap in while you fill up. I have used a biro in an emergency but I am sure a bit of bent metal would be easier.

Yesterday I had the reverse problem and the nozzle actually got stuck in the filler *eek* - a bit of brute force and ignorance solved that one 😳.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Ive fitted the Aero fuel cap with the larger radius to the top and have no problems filling up, mind you the cap was bought direct from Caterham when it arrived there was no fitting instruction with it it, was purely guess work and luck the the larger rad went to the top.

Mark C