Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering wheel fitting

David Ward

Just got my sexy blue alcantara Sparco Formula from DT - nice flat bottom (ooooh er).

Tips needed:

Where can I get a Racetech QR boss other than from Caterham - they seem to have difficulty getting one for me?

Are all the Caterham supplied QR bosses the same size/fitting?

What is the best way to drill the wheel without making a mess of it - I guess I need to countersink the holes for the bolts?

Where can I get coloured bolts for the boss and what size are they?

As ever thanks for any hard won info.

Have you tried James Whiting? I think he has these, although might need to order in...

As for drilling - ermmm my nice Racetech came pre-drilled. Much easier!

For bolts, have a look here Click here. They have lots of alloy coloured bolts which should suit. If you don't want to countersink the drilled holes you could always go for some Button socket (nice domed ones) bolts...

Phil Waters

2000 Zetec is in, waiting to start it up wink.gif

Edited by - philwaters on 25 Jan 2002 13:11:18

The alloy bolts will only break when the steering wheel smacks you in the face in an accident. Personally I see them as a safety feature! I've used them for years with no issue. You should avoid them in any area where the torque required on the bolt is greater than that at which the bolt is rated, and also avoid them in any area where they could be subjected to stress or strain, such a throttle linkage attachment, fuel rail etc.....

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>