Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Who can make a compression plate?

cdg

I'm working on a rather special x-flow project at the moment, and I need to make a 5mm thick steel compression plate to the same plan as a x-flow 87mm head gasket.

Does anyone know of an engineering shop that can make one for me? I don't really want to spend days with an electric drill and a file!

Many thanks,

Chris.

Wots this then, a turbo ?

Although I dont know a company that has got one, I have seen a machine that uses a computer scanner to memorise the shape of an object and then punches it out automatically from sheet steel. Expensive machine but cheap production by all accounts. It would be perfik for this kind of job. They were talking about less than a fiver per item cost.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 24 Jan 2002 16:16:34

i would have thought a fiver per item given loads of items.

Any engineering shop, esp. little back street ones should be able to do this - more modern ones will want CNC settings to do or charge loads to sort it - manually following a manually marked out pattern would be easier / cheaper.

Where are you?

Bri

So, turns out, for a change, I was speaking out of my . . .

The easiest way to do it is to dxf down to out m/c ing centre - if anyone has an autocad drawing this then becomes very very easy and about 30 quid, inc the material.

To draw it, would need a gasket, and price would rise a touch.

So if this is useless, it gives you an idea of cost.

Bri

Bri,

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I contacted a good friend of mine who runs a race preparation workshop nearby, and he put me in contact with a firm he uses.

I'm rather embarassed to say that they are 800yds from my house...

They have a computer controlled laser cutting machine, and once drawn on Autocad, (using the 87mm gasket as a template), setting -up and cutting is very straightforward. Accuracy is to 0.1mm.

Should be ready in a few days (they're quite busy at the moment).

Thanks again,

Chris.

whooo hooooooo!

You're getting me excited - if he's a decent price - let me know - been tryig to find somewhere to do one offs etc laser cut for ages - local firms to me are rather expensive, even if I try to slip it in with work stuff.

Bri

Bri,

Compression plate in 5mm steel to gasket plan.

£92 one off

£62 two off (each)

2-3day delivery.

The more you order the cheaper the unit cost. When you consider that Ajusa head gaskets are about £55 each from Burtons, these prices seem reasonable to me. Let me know if you want their address and no.

Chris.