Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Is Water Wetter safe on a K series?

Adrian M

On the other hand, I know a number of people who tried it on a very hot trip through the Italian mountains a couple of years back who found that it was a complete waste of time.

I do believe they tried an element of 'scientific' testing - i.e. put it in partway through the trip and found no change in the cooling behaviour.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

This ain't science. This is a belief system and rumour mill in operation.

Let me paraphrase: "Some observations in uncontrolled conditions confirm a change in behaviour consistent with the purchaser's interpretation of the manufacturers claims. An equal number of subjective observations discount the manufacturers claims. The majority of observations rely on the dodgy temperature gauge that no-one believes is accurate, which only measures temperature at a single point in a complex system. The coolant flows rates are never measured. Unqualified results are presented back with loose reference to the original claims for the product and are used to justify the emotional decision to buy for the next generation."

Dear Peter Pedantic Cynical Carmichael.

How objective do you want to be? Track driving at Cadwell. 95deg towards the end of the session. Next session with WW, 85 deg towards the end of the session. Same car, same weather, same sort of speed, same amount of time on track. Digital SPA gauge.

It's a detergent that improves the interface between metal and water by alltering surface tension. If your cooling system is working well and you have no air in your system, it probably does not improve things.

*smile*

Alex

edited to correct the spelling of pedantic before you pointed it out! 😬

Edited by - Alex Wong on 19 Apr 2006 09:01:32

I refer to:

"[snip]observations in uncontrolled conditions confirm a change in behaviour consistent with the purchaser's interpretation of the manufacturers claims. [snip] observations rely on the [snip] temperature gauge [snip] which only measures temperature at a single point in a complex system."

The snipping is not intended to in any way change the meaning of my general comment, but just trims the general comment down to the specific bit which applies to your observation.

Manufacturer's claim:

It's a detergent that improves the interface between metal and water by alltering (sic) surface tension

If you want to get objective, you need to bring in a whole load more factors...

1. You make no mention of the existing coolant brew.

2. You take no consideration of having completely shagged the pressurisation of your system by opening the expansion tank while the system was still hot. (but its a VX not a K so what does it matter)

3. The old "I blindly believe what the gauge tells me and mine's a SPA so ner ner ne ner" line of reasoning, disregarding that

the sender may be inappropriately sited to tell your whether you engine is cooler.

4. No mention of any thermostat in the system.

I've got a fantastic additive for coolant right here. It contains urea. When mixed with water urea has an endothermic reaction, drawing heat out of the engine. Unlike common salt, urea does not promote metal corrosion. My supply line can produce a few litres a day at £20 per litre.

I would suggest that to achieve a meaningful result you would have to measure the following (in addition to the consistent lap times and preferably same weather conditions);

>thermostat jacked to wide open position, closing off any waterpump bypass circuit

>top hose, bottom hose, engine oil rail and ambient temperatures monitored to allow the rise over ambient to be monitored

Otherwise you are just monitoring the effectiveness of the thermostat in maintaining the coolant temperature at its location.

Peter,

are you taking the p1ss or just trying to sell it 😬

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬