Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Carbon Tillet Seats

I reply to every thread

I have:

2X Carbon Kevlar Tillets

1X Tillet static mounting set

1X Remains of sliding mounting set from leather seat (Pre "S" type)

Caterham are all out of sliding mounting sets for Tillets & will be for a few weeks to come. Caterham parts dept were of the opinion that you could adapt the leather seat slider for the Tillet. They may well be right. Problem is that the distance between the mounting holes across the Tillet seat base, that is side to side rather than front to back is different to the leathers so the leather mounting points in the chassis cannot be used.

The static set seems to be the same. Are Tillet mounts usually bolted straight through the floor rather than through the chassis. Seems a little precarious to me. Even with large washers wouldn't the mountings pull through the floor in the event of a shunt?

Then again if you went in that hard you'd probably have plenty else to worry about!

I'm pretty convinced that I can use the leather sliders by bolting through the floor but is that what others do or is there another solution?

The tillets are bolted straight through the floor, however caterham sell reinforcing channels that rivet to the underside of the floor to beef it up a bit.

I think you'd probably be alright with a couple of big washers, as even in a shunt its not the seat taking any force, it'll be your harnesses which are bolted to the chassis (unless you go in backwards, even then I dont think that the reinforcing channels would stop the seat being up rooted).

Matthew

Managed to find another one then, well done. Just lose the heater and screen now and what's more, you'll be a man my son.

The seats should have ally fixing brackets which bolt to the bottom and these are then bolted straight through the floor. There are large washers for the underside of the car. I don't have a re-inforcing strip for under the car, I don't think Phil Lee did either for his R500 as we were talking about it on Sunday.

On the driver's side, you use large black spacing washers to get the height and angle required for the driving position and you actually need quite a few to get it right. The sliding runner to allow front to back changes is cheap and nasty and if the leather seat one can be fettled to do, I'd go with that.

Make sure you get the harness fixed underneath before the seat is on if you have six point as it's awkward to adjust it with the seat in.

Have both your seats got Tillet on them then ?

Nope - Tillet were watertight on their trading agreement with Caterham - which is fair enough I 'spose. So one Caterham & one Tillet.

I'll bolt to the floor then. Still a bit worried about ending up with an arse shaped dent in my floor pan though!

The fact I have a heater is probably what allows me to have a Seven. Heater disapears - So does tolerance. 4 or 5 Kgs is a small price to pay.

Count,

You do have reinforcing channels. If you had actually put some of your car together yourself you would know this. As your mechanic (but implying no subservancy, just sympathy) I feel qualified to state this.........

Matthew,

The pass seat in addition uses extruded ally square section supports, and the drivers seat uses runners to provide adjustment for the vertically challenged.

You could bolt the seats direct to the floor, but the runners or ally extrusions spread your weight over a much larger area than a few large washers and the flat faces of the seat underside would. in the real world this is impractical as you need to lift the fornt of the seat using the plastic spacers to provide under thigh support. Without this your legs go numb after an hours driving and you get a small problem being able to find the pedals!! Particularly annoying if you are hurriedly looking for the brakes at the time.....

If you bought a new seat it should come with runners or the ally extrusions.

Fitting these seats is a bitch, but with the right bits they are the best option.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 24 Jan 2002 14:51:49

I did buy a new seat - it came with the suggestion that adjustable runners would be available at some point in the future. In fact the second hand seat came with the same indication. I'm just impatient. (I was also told that the existing sliding runners could be modified)

I'm thinking of bolting the seats to the runners to the floor??? The only difference to the existing setup would be the absence of the two Fore-Aft flat steel sections that were previously bolted to the chassis below & seat runners above(and the presence of bolts attaching seats to runners rather than the ally rivets that were there before!)

Well - what d'ya reckon?

How high do you think you need the front of the seat base off the floor then? How much spacing has Count got?

Are we talking the composite high back seats ?

Do these offer additional leg room over the leather seats, I’m seriously considering changing to the thinner seat to give my 6ft 4inch frame a little bit more leg room in my SLR

Have already secured the current leather seat as far back as it will go by removing the base bar at the back of the seat, this has allowed the seat to go back another couple of cm or so without impacting on the strength of the seat

Has anyone any idea on how much more room I’ll gain, also how much lower I’ll be even with the seat tilted?

Also, where’s the best place to get this high back, thin style of racing seat I think they’re £260 odd through Dartford?

Jon B

Kawasaki Green SLR

by adding spacers to the front you can get very comfortable with these seats and give you a fair bit of space. my car did not have any channels under the floor so i have used large washers but my car does have honeycomb floor and this came with reinforcing tubes for the seat runner bolts to go through

Aves - I was surprised to read your comment

"Caterham are all out of sliding mounting sets for Tillets & will be for a few weeks to come"

as I bought a set from caterham last saturday, which was the 26th, and they look identical to the ones on my leather seat!

I have had to drill some extra holes in them to fit my seat, but wasn;'t too much effort

rob