Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pace Dry Sump Hayabusa

Rob Bailey

Seem to have a bit of an issue with my dry sump:

I had a leaking pipe between the tank and the sump. So in my wisdom? I drained the system, removed the pipe and refitted the pipe with new hose clamps.

I then refilled as per the instructions from TTS(1 litre in the engine, 2 in the tank). I started the engine and let it run for a while - (2 minutes?), the indicator showed it was low on oil. So I filled the engine again and returned it to mid way on the indicator. Again I started the engine and let it run for a few minutes, again it then showed low on the oil level.

In the mean time the tank has become fuller and fuller with oil.

It appears that the pump is taking oil from the engine passing it through the cooler and to the tank, but no new oil is getting to the engine.

Any ideas?

I assume this system uses the internal OEM oil pump to feed the internals and that the tank drains under gravity to the oil pump pick up adaptor located in the sump, or maybe it doesn't and uses a stage of the PACE pump for pressure...either way it sounds very much like you have an air lock which is preventing oil getting into the pressure pump. I would imagine that this needs to be vented in order to flood the pump.....I guess slackening the pressure relief valve would achieve this.

Paul

Give me a call on 07768 492850, I had a similar problem the first time I changed the oil on my Busa, but luckily I tried to build up oil pressure with the plugs out & fuel disconnected, so no damage done & solved it in a very simple way no one had ever tried before after alot of faffing about 😳

DSL,

Tried the blowing down the tank as suggested but to no avail, apart from the fact I started seeing stars...

Checked both pipes coming from the sump plate to the pump and oil was coming through both, so I am stumped!

Looks like a call to TTS / Pace in the morning is due *confused*

As the man above says, with a dry sump the oil lives in the external tank, not in the bottom of the engine.

A separate pump evacuates oil (and air) from the sump pan and retruns it to the top of the external tank. Another, high pressure pump (which can be the OE engine internal pressure pump but fed from the bottom of the external tank rather than the OE sump pickup) takes the de-aerated oil from the tank and pumps it into the oil galleries in the engine.

Oil level is usually taken at the tank, engine running as if the tank is higher than the pressure pump it can drain back overnight giving false readings.

The original bike wet sump level indicator will show only the oil level in the sump, this will be higher after a period of rest and should be empty, more or less when running.

As you have added oil the level in the tank has gone up.

When running you should be able to see the returned oil coming back, full of air perhaps, into the top of the tank.

There is usually an air space in the tank above the running oil level, often about 1/4 of the total tank volume.

If you had no pump from bottom of tank to the engine then you would have zero oil pressure and a big warning light

Best of luck

Neill

New 7 Owner

1996 VX 2.0

Ah, I miss understood your problem by the sounds of it, I personally have never even looked at the sight glass as that will show empty as all the oil is taken away by the pump *thumbup* *thumbup*

The only thing you need to concern yourself with is the oil pressure reading & the fact that the oil is recirculating back into the top of the oil tank at the same rate the oil is being drawn off the bottom of it *thumbup* *thumbup*