Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry sump oil temp sensor Q

davef

Hi, having a look round my dry sumped R400 engine, I noticed that there appears to be a sensor in the oil scavenge pipe from sump to pump. I assume this is a temp sensor - is that correct and if so does anyone know if this is the same thread as the standard Caterham K series sensor?

Cheers, Dave

Can't help. other than to say on mine the sump to scavenge pump is connected by plain large bore "rubber" pipe. The oil temp sender is in the of the bellhousing/oil tank.

I fitted the drysump 2002, could be things have changed since then.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Here's a quick snap: here

As you can see it's in the input to the scavenge pump - and I believe it is a stack sensor (the engine came from a race car). I have standard Caterham guages other wise I would use it.

Obviously I could remove it and see if it has the same thread as the standard sensor. However if it isn't I'll revert to using the bell housing sensor and leave this one alone.

(I'm assuming here that it is best to measure the temp of the oil as close to the engine, rather than measuring the temp of the oil in the tank)

Thanks, Dave

Bozz - exactly my thought as well. Hopefully it's standard thread so I can use it. I did a lot of research here about dry sump temp sensors - no one has mentioned a sensor in this position before hence my question *smile*

I've also discovered that the oil pressure sensor is a different size on the R400 engine - smaller than the 1.6K SS (M10x1.0 according to previous posts). So that's another call to Think Auto to get them to send the right adaptor.

Dave

Pressure senders certainly come in two thread sizes. I know as CC sent me the wrong one once.

As to the temp sender in the picture I think that may be a Stack specific item as the std CC one fitted to the bottom of my belltankhousing only has a single terminal with the earth provided via the thread. So it may not work correctly with the std CC gauge.

Steve.

So, we all agree it's a stack sensor/sender *smile*, but not necessarily the size (metric or 1/8 NPT). Do Caterham sell temp senders in two different sizes, and if so how can I tell which size I need? Will it be the same as the one in the water rail (which also needs changing)?

Dave