Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 Speed Box, Oil Level

finmac

The filler is on the side of the box for a good reason - so that it "can't" be overfilled - an anti-murphy device. Even if filling from the top it shouldn't be filled higher than the side filler. The gears only require splash lubrication, not immersion *cool*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Realise re splash immersion etc, regarding the filler plug, I take it thats located on the drivers side about knee level?

Its quite hard to see the plug from the engine bay with the access plate removed.

(With the drain plug on the passenger side labelled "drain"!)

HPC with QED 450

That's the one- drivers side, half way up the 'box, and "accessible" from under the car with a cut down 10mm Allen key; fill via this point until oil overflows. I use a syringe and tubing.

FWIW it is possible to underfill/overfill the gearbox a little this way depending on how the car is jacked up- nose up or back up- it should be level on axle stands.

BTW a little gearbox oil goes a long way when leaking- it is surprising what little volume is actually lost!

Neil

Guantanamo Bay Orange SUPERLIGHT R300

• 1 month later...

I did mine yesterday. I bought a small 'Swan neck' plastic watering can from Tesco, and cut the bottom of it. It fitted nicely inside the chassis tube, and the swan neck part bent nicely into the gearbox. Took 5 mins start to finish.

First good idea this year (or ever)

Instead of mucking about with all sorts of filling devices... take the top cover off... 6x M8 bolts.

Then you can see straight down into the gear casing and exactly to the level of the filler bung.

Job done.

SV 2.3 Duratec and for the last time, no it is not a truck