Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lambda sensor lubricant

Graham Perry

Steve Greenald advises that you should loosen them every 6 months or so and re copperslip to keep it free. Even with copperslip mine was a bu99er to get out after a couple of years. When you to go to Steve for a rolling road remap, he takes the your lambda sensor out and puts in his own 'known' six wire unit.

You need to be VERY careful not to use too much of whatever anti seize compund you do use. The compounds can give off fumes etc that the sensor can detect and thus it can read wrong.

New Bosch sensors, and NGK ones come prelubed with a tiny amount of something on the threads.

Too much can be worse than too little!

Neill

'Normal' Loctite tends to break down at high temperature but still leaves a powdery deposit on the threads, which keeps the surfaces apart and, maybe, from corroding. Heating a loctited joint is the recommended way of getting them undone, provided you won't damage anything else with the heat. So perhaps in a very hot exhaust environment it might act as a release agent instead. And you're not looking for thread locking anyway.

Hmm!

Locitite do a range of high temp anti-seize compounds - but I can't recommend them as I'm still waiting for them to get back to me over a graduate recruiment interview (two of them) despite me calling them a couple of times - and that was over 14yrs ago . . .

But more on-topic, if you do wreck the thread, this here might be useful . . .

Bri