Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT problems - sorted

GuyT

Picked up the car last night with fresh MOT. The handbrake lever had evidently dropped a pin in the mechanism - which accounted for the loud click. Solved by welding a washer on the pin to stop it dropping out again. Temporary repeater double sided taped to side headlight and the tell tale on the switch was an advise only. There was also a local R500 in there have the same done. Thanks for your replies and if your near Bicester and need an MOT, I have nothing but good to say about Dave at Bull's Head Garage, Souldern.

edited to conclude - GuyT

The car's in for MOT today - seven friendly garage - and 3 things have transpired. No repeaters on the wings, no tell tale on the foglamp switch and, of course, handbrake.

The car is a '92 year and has never had repeaters fitted. The garage says everything after '85 now has to have them?

In doing my checks on the car, I got in the passenger side and pulled the hand brake on hard which resulted in a loud click. I tried to move the car and couldn't, let the handbrake off and it rolled freely but have to admit I didn't try it again. Now apparently the handbrake is only at 5% !!!

I wasn't aware of the telltale on the foglight being a requirement so didn't even notice it.

The combined advice of Blatchat would be greatly appreciated.

RGDS GuyT

Edited by - GuyT on 12 Apr 2006 11:20:47

• Support Team

If you want to give it a try, refer your tester to this page in the manual.

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

There has been endless debate on here about this interpretation, but a number of MOT testers (mine included) have taken this view. If you twist the indicator pods out a bit, it makes it easier.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If you have flared wings, then the idea mantioned by Shaun is not as easy!

I have had to fit side repeaters before now for an MOT (for someone elses car) - we just bought some cheap from an autofactors, and double sided them to the wing, with wires taped up under, and around the wing supports etc. Very quick, and very temporary method, not perhaps ideal.....

www.mycaterham.com

here

91,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car