Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hellier Sump Baffle

MAK

After fitting Apollo the oil temp reduced a few degrees (on a 1.8k ~140hp) - seems to me that there has to be an additional cooling effect over the surface of the pipes and tanks?

I have a SPA oil/oil gauge fitted. If you get the engine nice and hot in traffic and move off so that air starts to flow through the nose, I can see the OT drop rapidly by a few degrees (depends on speed, ambient temp and gawd knows what). The OT rapidly rises back up when you kill the airflow by stopping in traffic.

The speed at which the temp appears to change rules out any major cooling effect - but it does illustrate that having the temp sensor in the side of the apollo isn't actually a brilliant solution. It would be more accurate (IMHO) if it was mounted near the base of the tank so that it sits in a bath of oil rather than a fairly well-dispersed flow down the side of a thin ali wall.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

gulp -

Tom_C are you right with the 80 deg C as I'm starting to worry cause I'm sure mine sticks around the 85 C mark *confused*

were you refering to oil rather than water? if not presumeably I should be worried?

what should I be looking for? if you were referring to oil then fine and hopefully 85 C on the water temp is ok?

on the other hand my memory isnt the best so I'll be having a look at the temps v.soon and taking a note.

Mine is an ex-racecar, so I don't know what, if any, thermostat is fitted to it. I get the same temp in both oil and water after about 6-8 miles, based on limited testing so far.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here