Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Fan Switch

Richard H

Evening All,

Have just noticed that the cooling fan is coming on at well below an indicated 80 deg C, so it's running nearly all of the time. I'm sure it didn't do this last week, so I suspect a dodgy switch, correct so far ? *thumbup*

So assuming that the switch needs to be changed, what is the part ? so that I can source it locally rather than from CC.

Secondly, can I change the sensor without fully draining the coolant ? was thinking of getting the front of the car up on stands and possibly lowering the expansion tank *confused*

Cheers,

Richard...................

Happier with wires than oily things.

I would suspect the sensor and check this first. You dont need to drain anything providing that you are quick at removing and relacing. *eek*

You can test the sensor with a multi meter of course It will open circuit at 80 degrees in a pan of water

I doubt that the switch would cause the fan to come on at the wrong temp

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

Hi Grant,

Thanks, Sorry, I meant the sensor, well the bit that is screwed into the top of the rad. *confused*

Any idea of an compatible part, before I darken the door of the motor factors 🤔

A bit of searching has thrown up a VW part number 823959481F (M22 x 1.5 92/82) *idea*

Sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks again,

Richard..................

• Support Team

It is the VW part but you can get it easily and cheaply from Caterham. I have swapped one over without draining the coolant - you just have to be quick. You'll lose a bit of coolant but not enough to worry about. It would be worth running to temp and bleeding the radiator just to be sure there are no airlocks.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Job Done *cool* and normal service is resumed *cool*

For the aid of searchers in the future Valeo Part Number 819749 at the extravagent price of £ 7.22 including Gordon Brown.

Thanks for your help chaps, that must be the first bit of spannering in anger for 5 years or more. Although you might all want to go on holiday as my next project is the sparkly Apollo tank that has just arrived *eek*

Have a blattingly good Easter *thumbup*

Richard..................