Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Disc & Pad Replacement

Harry Flatters

I'm about to replace my rear discs & pads and wondered whether when you remove the callipers, is there likely to be any problem moving them out of the way of the disc, with the brake pipe still attached, or do you remove the pipe as well?

Is this the time to replace the two rear brake pipes with braided hoses?

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Just doing this myself at the moment and there are no real problems.

Just unbolt the callipers and lift them out of the way.

You will need to split the hubs to replace the disc. I had to get a new 14mm socket with a slim profile to torque up the bolts holding the disc to the hubs.

My local motor factors. I'm sure Halfrauds or such like would be fine. The size of the socket is not the problem but the bolts have very slim heads. The cheap socket I was using was a little recessed at the front and just rounded off the bolts.

Torque setting is 30ft/lb I think.

You will need a U/J to get access to the rear bolt holding the caliper (thanks Arine) and new hub nuts (ford sierra).

• 3 months later...

Steve W - I am about to do this same job but have not started it yet as I realised after removing the wheel that I needed a 41mm socket! Also I do not have a manual, so please forgive if this is a dumb question - did you mean "14mm", or "41mm"? (Just wondering if there are more tricky bolts behind when the 41mm one is removed.)

For anyone attempting a disassembly of the rear-end for the first time, and didn't build their car, be mindful that the 41mm hub-nuts are left- and right-handed. (May prevent some minutes of wailing and gnashing of teeth).

[Have the rear hubs changed recently? The disc bolts were 3/8'' UNF with a shallow 9/16 head...? Oh, hang on, I suppose a 14mm socket could fit...]