Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Masking body work

Roadsport06

I start the car on Monday and have read the build book on t'internet. Can I use any masking tape on the body work when doing the suspension as I am a bit worried the stuff that I have is too sticky and will be on the car for the next 20 years. Any hints/tips in this area greatly received. *smile*

I just used cheap masking tape and it came off fine - as long as it's not there for months you should be OK.

I also bought a roll of flooring underlay foam and protected the sideskins with that during the build.

Enjoy it *smile* - What spec are you building?

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 9000 miles completed!

If you think it's too sticky just apply it to your trousers then remove it. That should reduce the stickiness. And don't leave it on for months. Not that that's likely with summer coming 😬.

When you come to remove it take your time and if it's a bit too well stuck apply a gentle heat with a hair dryer to soften the glue.

Most importantly of all - enjoy the build *thumbup*

Steve.

Thanks for the advice, the trouser method it is. It is a 1.8 140bhp. Standard suspension and 14" minitors. Trackday bar plus red button and Apollo tank. Leather seats. BRG and yellow nose. This year it will be a tourer into France+Germany so the spare wheel luggage rack is ordered and a jill judd bag. Next year it might venture onto a few tracks!

I hope for a 1 month build, I am a teacher so have got 2 full weeks on it but I have done little on a car before other than change wheels but this should be a great experience!!!

James,

where in the uk are you im at a loose end at the moment and could give you a hand if you require.

I bulit a roadsport last year (finished Nov 05) watch the masking tape i did the overall thing (masking tape on overalls to reduce the sitcky) and the car went back to factory due to paint peeling aroung the steering rack/suspension holes.

Mark C

What I did obviously protects the edge of the holes, and about 2/3 cms all round where the rubber overlaps. Obviously doesn't guard against those unguarded moments when spanners and screwdrivers slip and go rattling along the bodywork! I happed to have a lot of bubblewrap in the garage last time, so I threw that over anything that looked inviting. Oh, and remember to wear cotton overalls and put your belt buckle at the back, keep your toenails cut short - and take your watch off! 😬

James,

I used obsurde amounts of cheep masking tape on my build. I did strip it all off and retape it about half way through the process. Any residue was cleaned easily with some WD-40. I also used flannel cloth(with a cool print) to protect the side skins and large areas from any damage durring the build.

I even used masking tape over the entire surface of my wings. Since I was having them coated with truck bed liner at a local shop I didn't want the shop to scratch them. The tape ment they could handle them with no worries.

Tool marks from mistakes I made durring building drive me insane. I can take you around my car and point out the little scratches(three of them) I made durring assembly and it's like someone's cutting off a leg. However, Stone chips, rub marks, or other stuff from driving including the little dents in my rear wing protectors don't bother me in the least.

The mistakes I made on my build were due to my trying to rush something. I should have known better than to work on something close to a finshed surface with out taping over that surface first. Tape would have protected two of my slip ups. Take your time and enjoy the process.

You can see my protection and 98% of my build here www.thecaterhamproject.com

I need to update the site.

BTW... Great colors !!!

Have fun....

Joe

TheCaterhamProject.com - Build site with photos here

Edited by - JoeSpeeder on 9 Apr 2006 15:45:52