Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Starter Motor Problems - Shrieking

oldbutnotslow

Since the removal and subsequent refitting following the BGH gearbox upgrade the starter motor shrieks when you hit the start button. It never did that before. It was just a normal starter motor sound.

This is very odd. I’ve heard others do this but assumed erroneously it now seems that they had a different starter.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 6 Apr 2006 22:52:49

Thanks Nifty! ............. Just what I wanted to hear ☹️ You don’t know anyone with a Brise starter that doesn’t fit do you?? 😬 😬 😬

I’ve just had the alternator off and the bearings replaced. I’m sure that you could have got an E flat from the belt under tension. It’s a new belt as well.

I think I will take the starter off and have a look see *confused*

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

Grant,

On a serious note if you need to borrow it give me a bell.

There's no way I'm going to be using the car until at least the end of this month and I still haven't fitted it.

Nifty.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Thanks Nifty, thats most kind. Its working at the moment just making this strange noise. Just about to go for my shower and get dressed after which I shall go and pull the SM out and have a look at the internals whilst its on the bench *wink*

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

Mine did exactly this when I fitted a new one. I asked the question but never really got a conclusive answer. Every thing from sliping ring gear to misalligned fitment was suggested none of which proved to be the cause.I learned to live with it. It never had any detrimental effects and eventually it died away. *confused*

W.Nut *thumbup*.

Rosso Superlight no.087 (no longer)

Well, I've had the SM out and have stripped the reduction gear (its a Brise Magnetron). The front plate that holds the reduction gear & bearing in place had 2 of the 4 hex head bolts very slightly lose. I’ve cleaned everything up and have put some lubrication into the front bearing and reassembled and the noise seems to have gone. *smile*

Fingers Xed *thumbup*

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

Oh what it is to be retired

Get up, have a shower, get dressed .. go and play in the garage *thumbup*

If only I were anywhere near retirement age *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 7 Apr 2006 20:15:08

Im not and thats half the problem. 😳

I am going to have to get some form of gainful employment in the near future now that my 3 months garden leave is over!! ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

Grant

That shrieking of which you spoke came from, I reckon, the end of the shaft that you lubed; My Bimmer has the same problem and it's the shaft walking round in the bearing. It's because the bearing is (was) dry and the shaft, instead of running on a wedge of oil in the manner that hydrodynamic bearings do, contacts the bearing surface, climbs up it and rotates around the bearing in the opposite way to the shaft rotation, causing that shriek.

It's entirely unconnected with the shriek made by (for instance) chalk on a chalkboard. That is a different process entirely, and one that I can expostulate all kinds of explanations for.

I'll stop now before I start to run on.