Click here if you are having website access problems ×

facom advice please...

Jam Mad

a mechanic friend of mine may be able to get me a discount off some facom stuff. and in my continuing quest to get a good basic starter socket set, i thought i'd seek the wisdom of the techtalk.

can anyone either suggest a good kit, or fax me the relevant pages of the facom catalogue ? i can probably get to a halfords later on in the week, but was hoping to get some info to him sooner.

cheers all,

j

cheers... hi geoff ! i've heard the halfords range is good.. but the teng tools basic kit got 'star buy' in this month's ccc... so i was going to go for that. but if i can get facom at a discount...

i'm a sucker for sexy kit !!! ( phew.. i nearly said 'tools' )

tongue.gif

I can recommend Halfords socket sets. Got my dad one in '86 and it's still in perfect order. Bought myself one a year or so ago and it's very good.

Only problem is that the set of bits I got rusts if you get them wet. But they still work fine and clean up OK. Mind you, this problem isn't isolated to the Halfords bits as the other set I have (Stanley I think) did the same.

cool ! cheers for the advice.. but i can't resist either the teng or the facom... after reading the teng beating the halfords kit in a head to head.

although alex w did point out that there were more tools in the halfords kit for the same £90 price tag, i kinda like the idea of fewer tools for higher quality.

anyway, my evening has now freed itself, so i'm going to check the facom range in a halfords on my way home.

cheers all,

james

ps andy, we have a date with the a57 this year.. so our cars have got to be sorted !!!!

Facom are very good quality, and have a lifetime gaurantee, similar to Snap-on or Stalhwille, don't know about this Halfrauds stuff, as mentioned previously buy the best you can afford, (but what is the best?) or save some money and buy something better later. Golden Dancing Dragon of the Pearl River Tool Company Export and Import Ltd P.R.C. brand just won't cut it. Nigel.

Having just got another ratchet ring spanner (Halfords Pro--- really good)I had a word with the guy re. Facom. My local branch are 'dumping' them as a supplier due to poor service response and delivery promises. They're keeping their own, Teng etc.

Sykes-Pickavant is also getting the elbow!

They do a nice valve spring compressor with adjustable (both) ends which should get around the 'K' head difficulty. Thirty Seven UKP though.

Golden Dancing Dragon Tools--- the best an apprentice can afford!!!