Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering rack adjustment

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Just passsed the MOT but got an "advisory" for play in the steering rack. The play is on both sides and appears to be where the steering arms enter the rack. Can this be adjusted and if so how?

The other advisory was for lower wishbone ball joint. This looks straightforward to replace but is it a Caterham specific part or can I get it from any motor factor - if so what is the part reference?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

You can take play out of the steering by loosening the big lock nut on the top above where the column enters and adjusting the big grub screw. Best done with the front wheels in the air and needs to be done so that the play is removed without making it tight.

The spherical bearing can be obtained from Redline. There is a circlip underneath it which needs to be removed. You may then need to press the bearing out possibly with it off the car. I used a lare bench vice and a couple of sockets of appropriate sizes to do this.

Steve.

Hi Shaun, there are bushes at each end of the steering rack tube, which allow the rack to move back and forth, it is most likely these which have worn, and from the diagram I have here it appears they are held in place with screws, so it may be possible to get new ones, don't know where from, later racks might be bespoke to Caterham. You may need to contact CC for the manufacturer.

If it's an older rack I think they were from a Mini, and having just had a quick read through the dismantling, it definately describes removing these bushes, I seem to recall they were a bronze bush with a number of holes through them into which grease could be applied at assembly.

I could scan these pages across to you if you wish.

Regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

• Support Team

Thanks for the information. It is a Caterham rack (1997) - the green painted aluminium one. I'll give Caterham a call later an see if there is anything that I can do and I will try the method Steve describes.

Hope I can get the spherical bearing out with the wishbone on the car - I've no desire to be pulling the front suspension apart.

Yellow SL *cool* #32