Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help PLEASE - Flywheel replacement

GTD

To cut a long story short I need to urgently replace my flywheel.

It is a Rover 1600. I gather it has the original K series flywheel with the "raised" notch to trigger the cranking sensor.

Caterham tell me their standard lightened flywheel will fit the car so I assume this is definitely what I need. I also gather from Oily the "timing spacers" on this flywheel might be different from mine but I have an Emerald so understand that isnt a problem to reprogam the Emerald and he has kindly offered to help. I cant recommend Dave to highly.

Given that the crank sensor has broken off my flywheel I would appreciate any help on what I need to get from Caterham - is it just the new flywheel and sensor? Are any gaskets or any other parts needed for the job. Caterham tell me they only do one flywheel. For some reason I thought there was a special lightened flywheel in the R500?

I understand it is engine out and my friendly mechanic is going to give me a hand. I also gather reading Blatchat it is far easier to remove the engine with gearbox? Whilst going to all this effort is there anything else that should be replaced? Engine mounts come to mind.

Is it possible to do the whole job in a day??!!

Your help or thoughts all very much appreciated.

do you really need to replace the flywheel, or just the sensor?

If you change the flywheel, and the trigger patten, you may have to do other work to the electrics - like linking the injectors...

I've removed just the engine before now on a number of cars (including a race car). seems a bit of a waste to have to empty the gearbox (it pours out of the tail as you elevate it) and refill, if you don't need to.

What level of rebuild / refresh did the car recieve over the winter? If it was a 'big' job including engine out, I'd be very disapointed if it was put back together without checking the engine / gearbox mounting rubbers. Check with the people who did the work, they may have already been done...

I'm finding it hard to believe you damaged the flywheel, without hearing some very serious noises. Have you unbolted and inspected the sensor?

The K flywheels have a pattern of pits milled in the periphery. There is also a groove running through the centreline of the holes, providing a track for the sensor to run in. This design on the flywheel is very strong, so I don't understand how you could have damaged it without a huge and noticeable "BANG".

What state is the sender in?

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 5 Apr 2006 18:42:34

Peter - to cut a very long story short I fitted a Brise and the starter had an incorrectly installed cap head. When the engine cranked it sheared the raised "tooth" on the crank that actuates the sender. Apparently on the earlier 1600 crankshaft the design was different. Oily and my mechanic agree it is this raised tooth that has broken off. I understand the only way of rectifying it is to replace the crank ☹️. There was no noise when the engine turned over it just didnt start!

Any help much appreciated please?

The Emerald is configurable for trigger pattern. Easy peasy.

Yes, but different trigger patterns appear to need different wiring set up for the firing of the injectors.

I know this to be the case, as it is EXACTLY what we had to do at the weekend to my brothers car, following the change of flywheel.

The other option is to make a trigger wheel to go on the *front* of the crank and connect up a new sensor to that .

that could be made very cheaply , and woudl not require you to lift the engine out and buy £250 worth of new flywheel .

Brise have a lot to answer for with this starter motor and its rasied bolt heads *mad* 🙆🏻 *thumbdown*

gtd

i'm slightly confused: as peter says the crank position sender (which is a standard metro part £10) is triggered by the teeth on the periphery of the flywheel, not the raised lugs on the face

can't quite see how the crank needs replacing for this: however i'm sure oily knows much more about it than i do

if you're in dire need of a flywheel i've got my old '99SLR one somewhere in the garage

jerry

Jerry,

Early flywheels did not have a cast-in tooth pattern like later ones, they have a machined groove in which a pressed steel ring is riveted, the stell ring is formed with the appropriate tooth pattern, it is this ring and the crank sensor which have been rogered. I dont think the toothed ring is still available as a spare part, therefore the flywheel and sensor will require replacement.

Oily

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

For speed of repair I ended up going with a new R500 fly wheel and race clutch from Caterham. I wish I had seem some of the kind offers before but I am hoping this will be a very good set up.

Thanks to Oily as usual. I approach the R500 fly wheel after talking with him with a little trepidation but I hope it will suite my driving.

The engine is out and back in on Tuesday! I hope without too many problems. It will be interesting to see the outcome. My friendly mechanic is doing this part of the job for me with my help as I am not sure my skills are up to it.

Any guesses whether the tooth pattern will be the same??

Edited by - GTD on 6 Apr 2006 21:55:00