Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shock Absorbers

ian smith

There are going to be a lot of answers to this question, first point is that tbh if you're going to replace the rears I would probably replace all 4 if you are going for something other than the standard Bilstein.

Avo available from Freestyle make some nice shocks that a lot of people like, alternatively if you're feeling rich Nitron's are superb but twice the price!

Protech is another name that crops up fairly often.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

• Support Team

If you are only going to replace the pair then I think it would be sensible to stick with the Bilsteins - probably won't get them much cheaper than at Caterham. If you are going to replace all 4 then the world is, as they say, your oyster.

Common choices these days are AVO or Nitron. These could be bought on their own or as part of a set with springs. Just do a search on this site for AVO or Nitron and that should give you enough reading for the rest of the day *tongue*.

FWIW I've got Nitrons with 250lbft front springs and 150lbft rears.

Let the debate commence 😬.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If road use only:-

Buy someones dry use, low mileage Bilsteins as they upgrade *thumbup*

Should get all 4 with springs, bolt on and play for £100 or there abouts. You may be lucky and get the adustable platforms too (unlike me!!)

1.4K SS 😬 Saving for the next trackday *wink*

I have a set of 4 Bilstein + springs for sale, in very good condition, about 3.800 miles.

Off my 2004 K1.6 standard body. Were fitted on a wide track but can be fit on a standard one.

As far as I understand the front one will only fit post '96 chassis. How old is yours?

Email me if you are interested and you will get a good proposal.

i removed my rear shocks off my 1.6ss 2 days ago. the've done about 1000miles having been fitted new in october. i was going to put them on ebay but make me an offer. (they have standard progressive springs and cost 90quid plus vat new each (not inc the springs!!!))

reason for change is that i put different springs and adjustable platforms on with some other dampers (don't have spring compressers so i just swapped them over)

Tom The most southerly uk blatter

😬Yellow 1.6 Supersport 😬 Photos here