Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil consumption - any ideas?

murph7355

OK, after numerous pain in the backside type niggles, I now think I've got something a bit more costly to play with. Which is always nice!

My 1800K appears to be getting a thirst for oil. Probably around 1 litre every 500-750 miles.

It runs brilliantly and smells very nice after a thrash (Castrol R type smell), but is using a lot of oil.

There's nothing seemingly amiss externally - no leaks under the car, all joints are as clear of oil as you'd expect and the inside is reasonably clean (when I double check the filler cap is still there). The catch tank is all but empty.

Which is starting to make me nervous and think "were forged pistons and steel banded liners really worth the expense"!

So, whilst there's not a huge amount of info given, does anyone fancy a punt on:

- whether my suspicions are probably correct.

- what tests I could do to prove them so without huge work. I was thinking that maybe a ring was buggered on the pistons or something. But then I'd have thought you'd notice this quite easily? Would a compression test do the job?

I don't think it's anything to do with the head gasket as this was changed not very long ago and the coolant seems fine (certainly doesn't look like it has litres of oil in it!), and whilst I've heard that the liners have to be carefully honed to the block, I don't recall it using this much oil in the first 8.5k of its current incarnation.

Input welcomed and more info will be happily provided for those who enjoy such things.

Heed those words.. if you have shortened the guides and are using an 11mm lift cam then the guides will meet their maker fairly soon, they are only sintered, one they wear a little the tilt on the valve on opening is enough to overcome the stem seals authority and oil will leech down the guide, have a peek down the inlet ports to confirm..

The answers is some Colsibro guides, full length but suitably tapered, these run much closer tolerances and are far harder wearing.

Oily

Oh dear.

I'll get them looked at.

gary - you're not wrong. However that was a fair few hard miles ago. And whilst it could just be my general pessimism I've yet to meet an engine builder that will warranty work like that.

Which is a bloody good reason to (learn to) do the stuff yourself I suppose.

Will report back but I guess I better limit the revs for a bit until it gets looked at!

It may be a valve guide problem, especially if they have been shortened. Be warned that one of the commonest causes of a dropped valve is worn guides, because the valve no longer shuts true onto it's seat and is forced to bend a little. Many valve materials are good in tension but poor in bending - E214N in particular. Shortening valve guides generally leads to accelerated wear.

Were the new liners plateau finished? The type of ring fitted to most uprated K pistons really need a plateau finish. Unfortunately, you can't really tell by looking with the naked eye, but it is fairly common to see rings that don't bed-in with unplateaued (is that a real word?) bores.

Just remembered. When my throttle cable snapped (it's been all go of late smile.gif) I looked into the throttle trumpets and there seemed to be a lot of black gunk in there (around the bottom of the trumpets). Thought it had come from outside and that the filters were shot, but I wonder if it was coming the other way.

I've certainly not noticed any detonation, but then is it always noticeable ("pinking")?