Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brise now will not start - crank sensor?

GTD

I had problems fitting a Brise starter - see previous thread.

It turned out not only was the starter faulty but a cap head bolt was sticking on the flywheel and has caused a small score.

A replacement starter has cured that problem.

She will not now start - never been a problem before.

I cant see that anything was disturbed fitting the new starter that now turns over fine but no sign of the engine firing.

I have not yet checked for a spark but the fuel pump runs and I have tried reseting the fuel cut off just in case. Its a Rover 1.6 K with Emerald.

The only thing I can instantly think is the there was a score on the flywheel and some fine metal dust appeared around the bell housing where the starter attaches. Could this have damaged the crank sensor and is there an easy way of telling? Is the ensor easy to replace or remove and check?

Thanks Nifty.

In the end it fits fine - but how you can call it plug and play escapes me.

Brise did apologise and got me the new motor the next day. The cap head was completely counter sunk on the new motor and it also worked fine!

However I am now really worried the metal filings caused by the grinding cap head have b******* the crank sensor - I just cant think what else is going on.

The whole event has been a complete pain.

Brise also want the old motor back (of course fine) but no suggestion of paying the postage. It is I small sum I know but not the point - but an issue for another day, particularly if the motor has caused the sensor to fail!

Anyone any ideas on how to test the sensor please?

Brise are not doing themselves any favours here. I had two faulty starters last year. The internal wiring had been crimped on and the crimp was failing. The 3rd one sent had the crimps soldered as well and has proved OK so far.

The starter motors are japanese off small gennies (or something) with brise made gearing and housing ends to fit cars.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

As per Rob's post, check the LED on the Emerald and failing that, plug a laptop in and see what the live settings show while cranking.

In the old days, Emeralds were very sensitive to cranking voltage, so it might be worth making sure the battery is in top condition if you have been doing a load of cranking.