Click here if you are having website access problems ×

leaky x flow sump

Jam Mad

the ubiquitous oil leak in my x flow recently reached epic proportions, and i am 90% sure it's from the front pulley seal.

now, i've just had a chat with the lovely ruth at james whiting, who can probably order the relevant bits.. but is there anyone out there who may know the motor parts that i need, so that i could perhaps order them from my local motor factor ?

i have a james whiting sump, by the way, i'm not sure if the sump gaskets would be any different....

cheers lads,

j

ps and the cheers to the odd lass on techtalk too of course !!!

You can get the seals from Burton Power just as easy! If it is the front pulley seal, and that's where they tend to leak from, I think its an engine out job to replace!!

So if its not that bad stick with it.

Try to tighten the sump, the alloy sumps do work loose.

are you sure it's an engine out job ?!?!??!?!?!

i've been assured that it should just be a question of dropping the sump and replacing the two gaskets and two c shaped seals..

why would it be an engine out ? or is there something that i'm missing, in my limited mechanical knowledge ?

j

But if it is the front pulley oil seal, you will have to remove the timing chain cover with the oil seal in. Can't remember how much room there is in front of the X/Flow to get to the cover but I would have thought it should just be possible to get the cover off. You will also need to drop the sump though but this is quite easy to do.

One of the fixing bolts doubles up as a water pump fixing and as the front gasket often includes the water pump, it might be easier, for access, to whip that off as well.

Brent

hmmmm... now having a furious " am i biting off more than i can chew " debate with myself...

but hell, i've been given some kit for my birthday, so it would be rude not to have a go !!!

i think my timing belt is open to the elements, so that solves that one...

i have heard that some cars have a mod to make access to the rear sump bolts do-able... so fingers crossed. it's a '95.

j

For once, I can bring some joy to the world!!!!

If you really mean the front crank pulley seal, it is a simple matter to remove the crank pulley, hook the seal out with a screwdriver or some other implement and push a new seal in with plenty of rubber lube (although I have no idea where to get that of course).

If it's the sump gasket though, you will have to drop the sump. This can be done in situ, but let's hope that someone in the past has split the plate between engine and bellhousing so that you can remove the lower half and get to the rear sump screws.

roger, what do you mean, 'for once in the world' ??

you often bring joy to the world with your answers to us plebs' mechanical fumblings !!!

i assume that removing the crank pulley shouldn't be too hard... i'll find a xflow book for some guidance.

a weight of my mind, perhaps... not having a light in the garage means that all my work is either done by feeble torch light ( baaad ) or at the weekend.. so i haven't had time to confirm that it is coming from the front crank seal. i suspect as much 'cos of the scar of dripping oil down the front of the sump.

my post-birthday hangover put paid to any work on sunday afternoon !!!

j wink.gif

Just a small point,if your first attempt to cure the problem is to tighten the sump bolts

take care not to over tighten them, the front

and rear bolts screw into the alloy end plates and it's very easy to strip the internal threads in these.Take care!!!

Good luck.

C7 POW.