Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX 1800 Supersprint engine (140bhp)

Paul White

Just testing the water here.

I have just replaced my 1800 8V Vauxhall Supersprint engine (2001 car, 15,000 miles) with a 2.0l SRI lump and need to recuperate some of the costs. Rolling road showed 140 bhp (141lb ft torque)with larger valves & head mods)

Any ideas what it would be worth as a tried and tested upgrade for the 1600.(Caterham cost £1255)

Offers/ suggestions please!

Multi-coloured Beaulieu 1.8(now 2.0), see wraps

Edited by - Paul White on 4 Apr 2006 19:37:59

Edited by - Paul White on 4 Apr 2006 19:41:03

Chas - Yes, the engine is in and it does all fit. It has been very long journey full of sharp bends, long learning curves and U-turns but we finally got there (all fine if you're driving a Caterham but not much fun if you repairing one!).

Well almost anyway! The camshaft destroyed itself (wore down 2 lobes in 300 miles) whilst I was running it in last week.

I have now ordered a Piper one as I am afraid to touch Kent, especially now that this is the second one that has failed on me!

If you've got a few spare hours I'll talk you through it.

Paul.

Ian - just stick your BB head on my engine 😬 you probably wouldn't even need to re-jet it!

I don't know the power of the SRi yet but it feels a lot, lot, quicker but have only taken it to 3500 RPM so far- I would hope to be getting between 160-165 bhp once it's run in.

I'm sure that curiosity will get the better of me and it will be on a rolling road in the near future *smile*

Edited by - Paul White on 12 Apr 2006 18:49:10

Interesting question?

The tyres are the old solid rubber Avon 'Fuel savers' that came new with the car - so no real grip to worry about.

The diff is knackered and needs replacing following a track day (using a spare set of Yoko A008rs)and is being looked into at the moment.

I'll let you know how it goes *confused*