Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine oil

Roland

I have used Ford oil in all my previous vehicles with no probs...cheap enough to change often. Now, wiv me 'Seven (1,4 K series) I am told to use Mobil 1 My goodness...it's #28 per gal !!!! Do I have to or will the Ford stuff be good enough?

JMHO

If you hold high revs (pick a number lets say 7k+) to get the performance while chasing that Kawasaki/Vx/Scoobie then put in M1 15-50

If you rev to 7k and then change up while having a good blat marvelling at the aural and tactile brilliance of the car, a good multigrade will do.

If you don't rev to the red line but change gear at the torque peak around 5k rpm then keep the oil and change the Caterham for a 3-series convertable.

Roland.

Seems cheap! Are you sure that's not for four LITRES?

Anyway, my 1.4 SS had a diet of the M1 stuff and had 42,000 miles on it when I changed engines (1800 upgrade). Oil pressure was always spot on and was NEVER a worry. Doesn't that change light shine brightly at night!!!

A friend of mine had a Mk2 Golf GTI 8v which, when he sold it had done 135,000+ miles. It spent at least half of that on Mobil 1 every 3000 miles and compression was spot on, it never used a drop of oil and the sump (removed to clean at 125,000 miles) was spotless... It got used quite viciously too, so the choice is yours!

Just to add to the debate, I was in Halfords at the weekend. They were promoting Halfords brand fully synthetic oil @25% off, making it about £18 for 5 litres IIRC.

Does anybody know if you can trust Halfords oil in your beloved Seven. It did cross my mind that it might originally come from the same source and you don't have to cross the channel to get the bargin TF saving the cost of the ferry!

Andy

Everyone seems to be going with higher viscosity oils - is there a reason for this? After my oil filter smashoing disaster, I refilled with Castrol RS (0W 40). Will this be too low a viscosity when the warm weather comes around?

James.

The k-series does not need a 15W50 oil even up to the 7600rpm Supersport limit. IME a heavier oil is much worse for the hydraulic tappets and is not the design oil for the bearings.

0W40 mobil one works very well and there is no reason not to use it.

There is no difference between the bearing clearances between a standard engine and a VHPD - they are all built with the same grading. The oil grade is mostly to do with the bearing clearances and therefore is the same for all k-series apart from possibly the R500.

Most of the advantages of Mobil One are common to all synthetic oils, so the Ford stuff or the Comma is fine for a k-series in Supersport or standard spec. The most important thing is the appropriate grade. A hot rating of 40 is correct and appropriate. A cold grading of 0W up to 10W is appropriate.

• 4 weeks later...