Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

steering rack

rob ibbo7

Hi Rob,

I'm seriously contemplating going up to a quick rack. If I can get a buyer for my current rack then this will probably tip my decision.

In light of this, would you be prepared to pay £80 + delivery (or arrange collection) for my current rack (std front, completely standard rack (i.e. not 8% or 22%).

My car is a 1995 1400SS. It has clamshells on my car which give a slightly better turning circle, so if you have a cycle winged car, you may need to adjust the stops on the rack (I'm sure one of the technowizzes on the forum will be able to advise how to do this).

Thanks

Rob

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply.

Mine is a 97 1.6ss with flares on,do you know if this would fit straight on,i am not up on racks so what is the 8% or 22% a reference to? *confused*What % is the standard rack?

Is the rack ok & how many miles has it done,mine has tons of play in it and i've been told i need a new one but cant bring myself to pay the caterham new price.

If anyone knows if this will fit on my car then i am interested.

Thanks

Rob

Quite - £229 + VAT + delivery (unless you're near to Dartford). Don't expect much change out of £300.

The standard rack is 2.3 turns lock to lock and pretty good for general cruising. The 8% rack is 1.9 turns lock to lock and is supposed to be the best all-rounder. The 22% rack is 1.7 lock to lock and is good for track work. Some have said that this rack is a bit quick on the road, whilst others thing it's the best rack. I guess it's all down to personal preference.

I am confident that my rack will fit straight onto your car - but you might want to put a post on Tech Talk if you're seriously considering this. My car has done about 32k miles as I used it as my daily driver for a couple of years. I've done about 6 trackdays, but most of the driving has been normal roads. I'm happy with the rack in terms of safety and the level of play in it (there isn't any).

Let me know how you want to procede.

Caterham prices DO NOT include VAT ☹️. I've just bought myself a 22% rack. Cost was £215 + VAT + delivery.

Edited by - RobF on 19 Apr 2006 23:39:51

I have what I believe was known as the "old mini" type of rack and was fitted to a flared wing car / standard track, but I've no idea what % it is if at all. The rack appears to be in good condition and came off a car that had done just over forty thousand miles.

• 2 weeks later...