Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How hot's yours?

First Man

I know that engine temperature can be a bit of a problem on Seven's and wondered whether I have such a problem: My 1.8 K SS heats up to an indicated 120 degrees - the line just before the dial turns red - especially when pressing on. It will from time to time then fall suddenly by about 20 degrees, only to rise again equally quickly. Is this normal? Is it a problem? It doesn't go into the red and there is no sign of steam, odd noises or anything else. Car has an ali rad and silicone hoses. No leaks etc, heater works fine. Could it be the sender or would a problem there show no temperature at all?

First Man.

If you're talking water temp then it's way to high. Mine never gets above 80C. I'd suspect your thermostat especially with the cyclical temps, sounds like your thermostat is opening too high and then dumping cooler water into the system.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif

You may actually be on the wrong track here the clue is the cycling of the temp guage the thermostat is seeing to much cold water from the rad and is not allowing the cooling water to circulate properly I bet if you blank off the bottom 1/3 of your rad you will find that at this time of yearthat the engine will run cooler and the temperature will stablize Its all really to do with the stupid way the K thermostat housing sees the different water tracts Trust me it works.

jj

Try the following Options

Airlock?

Temp Sender

Rad Thermostate

Bad earth for the temp gauge

Header tank cap (at over 4000 revs my temp would go through the roof and it turned out to be this)

Be carefull because I am told that the oil starts to break down at about 125" and thats when real damage starts.

New Superlight Has Arrived teeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif The Smiles Just Gets Bigger wink.gif

Johnty, I agree 100% with you.

First Man, reason for the above is because I had exactly the same problem over Christmas. Previously it never budged either side of 80°C, but during a particularly cold spell I started to get overheating problems the same as you describe. After much draining, re-filling, checking thermostat operation, draining, re-filling etc, etc I concluded that it could be due to over cooling in the radiator. Tie wrapped a sizeable piece of card as a temporary measure behind the grill and the problem was solved. I was very relieved.

Have since restricted my driving due to excessive amounts of salt and s*it on the road.

Matt.