Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Inertia Reel Belts

Wile7

Hi folks.

A plea from the really nice chap I bought my car from in the UK. He is after a set of inertia reel belts for his car. He also has some other bits for sale (prices to follow shortly). I have copied some of his email to me below. Contact details below or Blatmail me and I will pass it on.

Many thanks. Dave

Hi David ,

I hope you and the 7 are all doing well ; ) .

I`ve just tried to join the Club on line , so I can put an ad` on blatchat ...but the system is down or something .

I desperatley need a full set of inertia seat belts ...and I can trade a set of black harnesses , an FIA Roll Bar with matching boot cover in red , Intercom System and a full set of adjustable platform dampers with springs .

In other words , I`m detracking the beast following it`s rebuild .

It would be a great favour if you could ...and they can contact me directly on

paul-lister@southlawn.net , or tel : (01777) 702864 and obviously I`m based in Retford on the A1 , near Sherwood Forest .

Let me know if you can help ,

Cheers for now. Paul

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

'I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members'

Photos here

The man needs his head read 😳 😳

I think it's the duty of all of us to put him straight.

Having known two people who have rolled 7s on the road and come out unscathed they have both said that the two most important things that saved their skulls were the FIA rollbar and the harnesses. The FIA bar is stronger and set at a more suitable angle (as well as sitting slightly higher) and the harnesses stop you falling out when upside down which an inertia reel belt will not do.

I shall E-mail him my thoughts

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Just posting the reply I got from Paul to my E-mail (with his permission) ....

Dear Nifty ,

Many thanks for your email ...good advice ...and trouble taken to let me know your thoughts .

I might compromise with the belts ....and do both...as for the roll bar ... I can`t win ....sods law will mean I will regret swapping the FIA...if I don`t , I won`t enjoy the drive as much with the impaired rear view ( not that you have to be too concerned with that in a 7 ; ) .... and I would never have a full roll cage for the road ...as they just look hideous to me , even though they are the safest .

I also find , that when strapped in Mad Max style ...with the track ambience of my Car...that I tend to drive more adventurously ( Neil Armstrong comes to mind ; ) ...as I found out , when I managed to spin it in a straight line , in the nearly dry...resulting in the current rebuild ; ) .

My true love for Lotus , is the ease and oneness I`ve had whilst owning and driving them for the last 25 years ... in particular with my baby Elan as well as the 7.. and even my V8 Esprit with the sunroof out ; ) .

Unfortunately , to make them safer , for me , dilutes that harmony...and is a double edged sword I have to bare .

However , I will give your good advice serious thought ....but meanwhile , please encourage anyone with a spare set of inertia belts to give me a call ; ) ....and I will keep the harnesses in as well for when I get carried away ; ) .

Many Thanks for your help ,

Cheers ,

Paul .

ps : Please feel free to publish my response , if you wish ... I still haven`t managed to get registered . P .

And then a further E-mail:

Oh Nifty,

I forgot to mention ...you are also right about the platforms , that`s why I`ve invested in a full new freestyle kit with adjustable dampers as well .

I`m also treating the car to new widetrack suspension ( hopefully I`ll keep it in a straight line from now on ; ) ...so I`ve got the original narrow track for sale ...as well as the quick release momo steering wheel and column ( Racing sacriledge I know ; )... if you know anybody else who wants them .

Many Thanks Again ,

Cheers ,

Paul

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Thanks for all your excellent advice and feedback chaps - I knew the club would not let me (or Paul) down *thumbup*

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

'I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members'

Photos here