Click here if you are having website access problems ×

White blobs in my oil

Al Crickmore

Yup, ickle white blobs in my oil when I checked the dippy yesterday. Now help me out here boys, I drive 'em and until recently (pre-Seven) didnt really care how they worked. Now I know this is water getting to where it shouldn't be and that's obvioulsly crap. How hard should I be crying at the moment? It's a Super Sprint by the way.

Caterham owner and proud of it. wink.gif

Often called mayonaise.....

Not a job to take on if you're not mechanically minded - but as Aves says, not a huge job. Not sure how having push-rods affects the work required but I suppose you don't have a timing belt which makes it easier.

It is has to be done right or you risk warping the head.

Check your water levels before you use the car and I'd get the head gasket checked soon.

Not so quick guys.

When was the last time you drove the car?... and do you keep it in a warm condensation free garage?

It could be just condensation forming on the inside of your engine due to cold from the garage conditions.

John

This 'mayonaise effect' could well be where the car hasn't been used and the condensation creates this problem. Have you maybe been just starting it to see that it's 'All right', and not taken it for a drive or run it for long?

It's a classic way of producing your symptoms as the engine just doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the condensation.

Here's hoping! (Sorry Roger!!!)

It had had a pretty decent blast before I checked it later on so I'd have thought that it would have burned off by then. But what do I know? I really am thick when it comes to mechanics chaps. The car is due for a service anyway. It's been a long time since I emptied my pockets for the cause. Roger. You will have mail very soon!

Caterham owner and proud of it. wink.gif

Of course I don't know what I'm talking about but I would have thought condensation mayonnaise would be primarily under the oil filler cap and very little if any would show actually in the oil on a dipstick. The condensate would be a fixed small amount that will get thrown off the cams pretty rapidly leaving a relatively clean oil. Enough water in the oil to show on a dipstick is a lot, and to show after a blat is a lot coming from a continuous source.

My Golf (4 miles to the station and back) generates enough mayonnaise on the filler cap to supply Pret a Manger but always shows a clean dipstick - and the whole lot is gone after a good motorway blat up to London.

I would have thought a quick trip to Hoddesdon would be an excellent investment.

Incidentally what is the official word on how bad condenstation mayonnaise is for the engine. I work on the principle that it clears pretty quickly and water is a decent lubricant enyway; so, while it's probably rotting the hell out of my engine while it sits, when running it's probably ok...?

Simon.

I used to get a build up of mayonnaise round the dipstick on my old crossflow if it was off the road for any length of time. It could be worth checking the tube that holds the dipstick hasn't got a build up of the stuff in it, which you are picking up everythimr you check the oil level.

Dave H